U.S Immigration/Student Visa

After admission to LSUA, the following documents are needed to study in the United States.

Certificate of Eligibility/I-20 and DS-2019

An I-20 or DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility (COE) is used to apply for the F-1 or J-1 student visa, as well as to obtain F-1 or J-1 student status when entering the United States.

To qualify for a Certificate of Eligibility (I-20/DS-2019), U.S. Immigration regulations state that applicants:

  • Must be officially admitted to a degree/exchange program on campus.
  • Must have sufficient funds to cover all estimated expenses for at least one academic year. 
After admission to LSUA, the Admissions Office will issue a Form I-20 or DS-2019. It is recommended that a copy of your passport name page be submitted to the Admissions Office because the spelling and order of your name on the I-20 or DS-2019 must match exactly to the name on your passport.

F-1 International Student Visa: I-20
J-1 Exchange Student/Visiting Scholar Visa: DS-2019
FAQ's About I-20 & DS-2019

SEVIS and U.S Student Visa

To enter the United States as a student, you must have a student visa issued by a U.S. Consulate or Embassy outside the U.S., unless you are a Canadian citizen.

The visa is your permission to enter the United States. Depending on where you plan on apply for the student visa, the visa application process can take a long time; therefore, you should start your visa application as soon as you receive your Certificate of Eligibility I-20  (for F-1 visa) or DS-2019 (for J-1 visa). 


SEVIS Registration & Payment
U.S Student Visa F-1/ J-1
Schedule a Visa Interview