About the Programs

Degree Programs (F-1)

Exchange Visitor Programs (J-1)

LSUA’s Exchange Visitor Program (J1-Visa) provides foreign nationals with opportunities to come to the U.S. to teach, study, and conduct research for periods ranging from a few weeks to several years.

The Exchange Visitor Program aspires to promote international educational and cultural exchange and to develop mutual understanding between the people of the United States and other countries. Louisiana State University at Alexandria supports the following program categories:

Exchange Students

  • To attend LSUA as an exchange student, students must currently enrolled and pursuing a degree at a postsecondary academic institution outside the U.S. Your home institution must have a formal, bilateral student exchange agreement with our University. Check with the exchange coordinator at your university’s International Programs Office to ask about the exchange program and nomination process. The maximum duration of stay is 24 months for a non-degree seeking student.

Visiting Scholars

  • The Visiting/ Research Scholar category is for a foreign national who enters the United States for the primary purpose of conducting research, observing or consulting in connection with research projects, corporate research facilities, museums, libraries, post-secondary accredited academic institutions, or similar types of institutions. A research scholar may also teach or lecture, unless disallowed by the sponsor. The research scholar or professor’s appointment to a position shall be temporary, even if the position itself is permanent. 

Joint Academic Programs

The Joint Academic Program, commonly referred to as the “2+2 program”, or a dual-degree program, where students complete the first portion of their studies at their home institution and then complete the second portion of their studies at LSUA. Students will receive a degree from each university once they complete the programs.