The following principles establish priorities:
- University Mission Statement and goals
- LSUA Library Services Statement of Purpose and Desired Outcomes
- The Library Bill of Rights and other established standards and best practices published by the American Library Association, the Association of College and Research Libraries and its College Libraries Section
- Comparisons with peer institutions and contemporary literature in library and information science
- Review of literature, information from conferences, and listserv archives to determine best practices
- Annual surveys
- Feedback from students and faculty
- Directives of the Chancellor and/or Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs.
- Mandates of accreditation bodies
The Director of Library Services develops goals and objectives with the library faculty and/or staff. Goals and objectives are assessed annually. The Director of Library Services, with advice from library faculty and/or feedback from faculty, students, or administrators, initiates changes in priorities and establishes policies and procedures to implement them.