Estimated Expenses

Tuition and Fees

  • F-1


  • J-1
    • Students will pay regular tuition at their home institutions unless exempted. The host institution will provide waivers for tuition and other scholastic fees for the exchanged students. However, students may be required to pay student health fees and lab fees associated with specific courses. Students will be responsible for the cost of travel between their home country and Louisiana State University at Alexandria as well as the cost of immigration documents.

Click here for an itemized fee list for Exchange Students.


  • During their stay, international students are placed in an on-campus dormitory. The Oaks, LSUA’s apartment-style housing complex, consists of a community center building, community computer lab, entertainment area, laundry room, and outdoor pool. There are four different apartment styles available for students and are based on student needs. More information on the housing application and fees are available at
  • Amenities provided for each apartment:
    • Cable T.V.
    • High-Speed Internet access
    • Full Kitchen and Appliances
    • Furnished Rooms


Meal Plans

Health Insurance

All international students in F-1 and J-1 student visa status are required to have medical health insurance while they are enrolled at LSUA. LSUA offers Student Medical Health Insurance Plan for all international students, visiting scholars, and to their spouses/dependents. All nonimmigrant international participants on F-1 and J-1 visas either enroll with the university’s default health insurance plan or request a waiver of the requirement. 

Students who request a waiver must provide evidence that that they have already purchased an alternative insurance policy that meets university requirements; the waiver must be submitted by the published deadline. The University requires verification to make sure that you comply with these insurance rules. There are no exceptions to the health-insurance requirement. Participants who do not meet the waiver deadline will automatically be enrolled in university default plan, and the charge placed on the participant’s account.

The cost of the university default plan per day is based on the age of the insured.

The United States does not have a socialized health-care system, which means that health care coverage in the U.S. is quite expensive. Be aware that U.S. insurance companies may not cover the entire cost of a doctor’s visit, x-rays, hospital stay, laboratory work, or medications. You will be responsible for making a co-payment directly at the doctor’s office or pharmacy, and sometimes the cost can be substantial.

Proof of Funding

Proof of Finances: To receive a I-20 or DS-2019 form, which is required to obtain a F-1 or J-1 visa from a U.S. embassy or consulate, a student and an exchange visitor must provide documentation with this application that you have sufficient financial resources. You must document the following amounts for housing, meals, books, and personal expenses based on the length of your program:

Documents acceptable as proof of finances include:

  • Personal bank statement(s) or other financial documents (e.g. scholarship award letters, loan guarantee, etc) showing sufficient funds.
  • Letter of support from parent with bank statement(s) showing sufficient funds;
  • Or a combination of documents and letters of support that, when added together, show you have sufficient funds.