

Faculty Senate Meeting Minutes

October 13, 2020

Zoom meeting 3:00 pm

Members: Melissa LaBorde (President) Michelle Waller (Vice-president) Deborah Wood (Secretary) Jennifer Innerarity (Parliamentarian), Melissa Whitley, Kent Lachney, Richard Elder, Prakash Ghimire, Melissa Parks, Carol Corbat

Guests: Dr. Coreil, Dr. Rowan, Randall DuPont

M. LaBorde: We have a quorum.

M. Waller: Moved that the Faculty senate meeting minutes from 9/15/2020 & 9/29/2020 be approved with amendments or grammar edits.

K. Lachney: Kent 2nd to approve, with minimal

M. LaBorde: Minutes approved. All approved (0-0-9)

Dr. Coreil: Rough weekend with hurricane Delta, starting with Friday Mulder Hall had roof/water damage again. The roof is being repaired/replaced but was not complete so we ended up having water back in Mulder. The roof is being repaired/replaced and we think they will be finished in a couple of weeks. We do have more litigation and repairs to do, replacement of ceiling tiles, drying out, humidity, to ensure there is no growth of mold. Kevin done has done a fantastic job. He did not sleep hardly at all Friday night. So did the police department in protecting our students in the Oaks. There was damage at the Oaks. One window was blown in and about 15-20 windows leaked, but structurally the building was not damaged significantly. We had 2 inches of water in Live Oak, it is being dried out now we think we can save the brand new carpet in there. We had water in Abrahams Hall but nothing beyond what we traditionally see in the hall. The drainage project cannot come quick enough. We met with the governor's office staff, right before Delta hit, the office of community development, as well as the division of administration. There is a complication, but we are overcoming it, because we are getting some federal money for this project from the governor's office. There has to be an environmental assessment done. We have to meet the NEPA requirements, so they are going to do an environmental assessment. They look at the wetlands, they look at the archeological sites, and they look at the cemeteries, anything that is of significance to the national priorities. We don't think there will be anything that will cause any problems. They have hired an environmental national firm that is doing all the projects for the 1.3 billion dollar flood ligation. They are pushing ours first and they said they need three months to do the NEPA assessment. The bids cannot go out while the NEPA assessment is being conducted. So, that is the plan for November they are going to put the packets out to the engineering firms that are interested in the construction of the project. The good news is we have the money, the project is moving forward, but the only glitch is we have to do this national environmental assessment and that is being done by governor's office. Hopefully, we will be seeing companies looking at a bid packet in November. Because of the frequency of disasters/COVID-19 pandemic we are looking very seriously at splitting out the risk management side of Daniel Manuel's job and letting that be a separate priority because he is having to put almost all of his effort into the risk management right now. We have title nine and the disabilities act and all the other things we have asked him to do and it is just too much it cannot be done. So, we will be looking at developing a job description for risk management, because we have to have a risk management plan that is actively implemented. Whether it is a tornado,

hurricane, a chemical spill, whatever be, a pandemic, there is so much that has to be done in enforcing that right now with the social distancing, and the whole issue of contact tracing. We have to make sure people are in isolation and quarantined for set number of days it becomes quite a quagmire to get that done correctly. So, that is one issue that I wanted to make sure you all were aware of. One other thing is we have asked Chancey to look at our policy statement, I know this has been a priority. We have 79 active policy statements right now at this university. So, we have asked Chancey to really look through them, many of them have not been looked at for 15 years or longer. We are going to try and make sure they are updated. Many of those people in the statements for contacts are not even working here any longer. So, it is going to require quite a bit of work to make these policy statement relevant and up-to-date. So, we have tackled that and will try to make that a priority for the next several months and we may need some help for you all to determine which ones are crucial and ones that maybe not crucial anymore.

M. Whitley: I can, I also sent a list to Missy LaBorde. We went through and looked at how long it had been since all the policies were updated and we have a spreadsheet that puts us on a three year rotation for all the policies to be reviewed. One suggestion we did make was that whenever a policy is reviewed or updated to add that date to the top so even if it was reviewed and no changes were made there is still documentation that the policy was reviewed.

Dr. Coreil: I think Chancey has that spreadsheet. Please send it to me to be sure.

M. LaBorde: I will double check and ensure the spreadsheet has been sent to Dr. Coreil.

Dr. Coreil: I want you all to be involved and when I went back and checked you all have seen the same issue on how many years since they have been looked at and it is important. I know the website I know a lot of them are up there right now, you are exactly right Melissa, and we need to put the date it was last reviewed on every one that is definitely critical. Be thinking about it, there may be some specific policies that may be a priority for the faculty senate. You may want to highlight some of the issues you may identify that we can consider as we look at updates and with committees will need to look at them and that kind of thing. Commencement, we have not made a final plan but, we are going to do our best to have an opportunity for our students walk across the stage. I know Missy you have been involved in some of the discussions so you know what I am talking about. Right now we are talking about doing a minimum of four commencement exercises. We would have smaller groups, limited number of family. Set up a stage that we could use for multiple celebrations and have some break-out of different departments that would be associated with each of the celebrations. We have not finalized it yet but the students were asked to vote on it. There was not a real strong sentiment, even though this one was the highly suggested route to go. Some wanted an outdoor event, some voted for virtual. I do not know if you all have thought a lot about it but, definitely the students overall want to have something where they can actually be recognized for their graduation, we have to invite spring, summer, and fall. I think it is right at 600 students that will be invited, I do not think they will all come, but if you assume about 400 will participate, but you cannot have 400 people in a room right now, only 250, plus the families. We are thinking right now we could have multiple commencements. One interesting thing I want to share with you all about the special session is, the legislation is in session right now. They are looking at multiple ways of taking away the governor's power on COVID-19. There is a bill that would suspend on all COVID restrictions for 60 days, beginning at the end of the session. If that would pass, you would see a suspension of crowd restrictions, mask requirements, those kinds of things, social distancing, as not being mandated by state law. I do not know what that is going to mean if it passes, if there is going to be a lawsuit filed if it is going to be adjudicated. There are two states Florida and Mississippi that have all but taken away the restrictions. They have no masks requirements and those kinds of things. So, stayed

tuned we will be watching it. One other interesting thing is that a bill passed today, probably going to pass and become law is that we basically cannot cut a police department's budget. That will include university police. LSUA is not talking about cutting university police's budget, but it will be state law and the only thing that will be protected on our campus. Interesting guidelines that will come out of this session how universities cannot the budget of university police.

M. LaBorde: That is house bill 38.

Dr. Coreil: Lastly, we are trying to make sure we identify all the opportunities and threats and things that are important to our campus as we move into the future. We have stress as well as great opportunities. We are going to try and have an administrative retreat and we have invited Missy to be a part of that. It will be at 4-H camp and it will be facilitated by the person I worked with at my previous job at the Ag center. He is a Higher Education program development person and he will help us walk through a SWAT analysis. We are going to interview quite a few people, faculty, students, other administrators, and also some stake holders as well. We gather input of what they think and bring that feedback to the retreat. You will be hearing more about that we cannot have everybody there we are going to try and interview a good many people so we have good consensus of what are the concerns and what are the opportunities. I look forward to that and Dr. Mitch Owens from North C. Corbatina is going to come in and help with that program. Any questions?

M. LaBorde: If that bill passes for the 60 days would your chancellor's mandate still be in effect on campus?

Dr. Coreil: I really do not know what is going to be in the bill. Typically, you all know that the governor closed all the state offices Friday. We are not under the governor's administrative authority directly, we have a board and we were not closed Friday. We may not have to follow the mandate of this as a campus. We are looking at the risk for students and the state usually stays out of those directives for the campuses. We will have to wait and see. There is a chance that we would not fall under the umbrella, for instance eliminating mask requirements. This legislature has become very anti-COVID restrictions and they are grandstanding pretty heavily toward getting off the table for 60 days for whatever reason. What happens in late December? Do the mask go back on, it will be interesting to see. I heard two medical professionals say yesterday that masks are going to be more effective against COVID than the vaccine will be. The reason they are saying that is because about 60% of the population will not get the vaccine. So, mask will be more effective if you do not take the vaccine, obviously. Still protecting your neighbor. The science is there for the masks and for social distancing as well. It is very frustrating for me, I have a science background, why would not look at the data. That doesn't seem to a priority right now in policy development. Really this is the core reason for this session to water down or eliminate some of the restrictions.

M. LaBorde: Keep that on your radar because we obviously can't do anything about it right now. I personally had two students email me who tested positive this week from my face-to-face class.

Dr. Coreil: There is pressure being put on the students to lobby Higher Education administrators to eliminate the mask requirement. It is not coming from here but, trust me there are student organizations in Baton Rouge that are lobbying to do whatever they can to eliminate the masks. It is not just coming from the legislatures, it is coming from these student organization on campus.

K. Lachney: The damages you are referring to from the hurricane is that having any effect on LSUA's budget?

Dr. Coreil: Well it could, there are some things that may not be covered by FEMA. Most of it will be covered through risk management, state risk management. We are making all the claims we can and we are still making claims on Laura and we will make the claims on Delta. I do not see it directly having an impact on the budget, but indirectly because the state is going to bail out quite a few communities that are seriously imperiled, like Lake Charles, Iowa, Jennings and some of these communities. So, it could have an indirect impact so that state appropriations will have to be redirected. That is the concern. Then COVID has a much more risk for our budget, because 50% of our state appropriations is being covered by COVID-19 funds from the federal government. That is a one year, one time coverage. I am not worrying about it today, but at some point we are going to have to ask where are you going to get this 50% next year. They are saying don't worry about it we are going to cover it. So, probably the risk for COVID is more than the risk hurricanes. But they both could have an indirect impact.

C. Corbat: Maybe could re-inforce the mask policy at LSUA to our students. I have noticed in the last week to 10 days a lot of students not following the policy. Just walking through the building with no mask on. I asked a student in class about a mask and he stated was in his book sack. So, class on the second floor so he had to walk through the whole building to get to class. I have had to ask several to put on their masks, they are sitting in class without a mask and sitting right next to each other.

Dr. Coreil: I have no problem doing that, it is a great suggestion. I assure you it will be done. The mixed messages that these students are getting from the leaders of this state is making it hard for us. Yes, I will re-inforce it.

M. LaBorde: Will you include the UA kids as well, a lot of them have them around their neck or not at all.

Dr. Coreil: Yes, we need to do that absolutely. I will highly suggestion that she remind her students and her faculty.

R. Elder: The workers are still also not wearing masks.

Dr. Coreil: I needed to know that, thank you.

M. Waller: Also those folks coming in with that LED light grant are not wearing masks, they are from the public works project. The folks from the public works commission who are working with the LED lights.

Dr. Coreil: So do you think they don't know the policy or just made a decision to quit wearing masks. I wonder what the motivation is with them. They will not be on our email list. Who would be supervising them here?

M. Waller: Kevin

Dr. Coreil: I will go to Kevin for the roofing crew, serve-pro and the LED public works as well. Thank you.

M. LaBorde: Any other questions for the chancellor? Dr. Rowan's main topic is the structure. I sent the link for all to look at the forum.

Dr. Rowan: 1.) Still have students without internet and power and be very flexible with assignments. 2.) Reminder fall 2 begins October 26. There are some students and some faculty who are wondering why there is not more buss about fall 2 starting that was changed as part of the academic calendar. We made that change after hurricane Laura. 3.) If you have not heard the change to advising, about a year and a half ago we had an advising summit in Live Oaks. We talked about issues pertaining to things like having to keep up with changes in technology, the policies, and inconsistencies. The main recommendation coming out of that really was to have faculty no longer be the advisors. That would also serve some interest in faculty workload, which is too much. So the news is that is going to happen. By the end of this

academic year we will have professional advisors do the advising for students. Starting next year if will not be faculty, so it is a good change. The details are still needing to be worked out, I am announcing it and it is going to happen. Probably the advisors will be housed where they are now so they will still be together, to give students some back-up advising if their main advisor is not there. One other caveat to this is a rather a compromise with student engagement, they will not be advised by the advisor during their senior year. So, students will come in as a freshmen, sophomore, junior, they will have that one advisor, for their senior year, where scheduling is not an issue, they will go to a faculty member. We will want to call them their senior mentor, someone who will prepare the student for graduation. Details are getting worked out. 4.) We have in the last few weeks we have approved a few faculty hires for fall and those were based on growth areas. Based on demand and specific disciplines, sub disciplines or just out right need given the ratios. If possible we are going to look at a couple more faculty positions in January, for next fall. I think we approved 4 faculty members already and those departments have been informed and starting to put together the paperwork. 5.) Structure is what Missy mentioned. I sent a message out yesterday with some documents that were covered about two weeks ago at the open forum session. In that time in the last couple of weeks I have had some good constructive feedback and suggestions. One thing we are looking at is the department of history and political science. Perhaps instead of going in with the college of humanities as was on the original proposal perhaps going with the college of social sciences. Faculty have been talking about that and we could probably make that happen. We have to keep in mind there has to be a balance in a number of factors, faculty, and student credit hours, majors. There was good feedback on that. I would like to get that wrapped up by the end of the month so we can proceed with some second layer questions. You know about operationally how things will change, about labels and those kinds of things. 5.) A reminder of the Bolton award, the call for nominations has gone out, and a reminder that I will take any guidance you want or don't want to give me on how to proceed with the two new faculty awards. One for outstanding service and one for outstanding scholarship. Again I don't mind putting the process together and involving faculty like I did last year. If that is your preference than I don't mind. I just wanted you all to know you have the opportunity to recommend the process. 6.) Reminder also about the double major is something I would like us to look at and easing barriers for students to pursue the double major. Just a couple of announcements there is going to be an all campus meeting October 28, 2020 at 3 pm in Coughlin Hall but will also be Zoom available. We will be having Trick or Treat Street on Thursday October 29, 2020. Don't know the details but I think people will be staggered.

M. Laborde: Any questions or comments? The structure you are hoping to have it at the end of the academic year? When will be the search for the new positions, the deans? Like spring?

Dr. Rowan: We will move in phases, if we get the structure figured out by the end of this month. We can start looking at things like labels, whether we are going to call them divisions or departments. What we are going to name some of the different units. It would make sense that when we come back in January that we would start doing that. The process and what they will look like we will need to talk about in November.

M. LaBorde: No questions?

K. Lachney: How should we proceed we have one more meeting in October and John brought out 4-5 points. Do we want to address those at this meeting or subsequent meeting so that we can make progress in those areas?

M. LaBorde: Which ones are you talking about, like the awards?

K. Lachney: Right I think he had 4-5 items. We probably need to address the structure, the awards, and then the professional advising. I don't know if John needs any input and we probably need to discuss those and put them on the agenda so we can make some progress in those areas.

M. LaBorde: I have a thought on the faculty awards which is tied in old business with administrative committees. It is about the Bolton award committee is already a committee. We might consider making it the faculty awards committee instead of the Bolton awards committee, something along those lines. We can do whatever you guys think. When you mentioned the Bolton awards committee it made me think of the administrative committee. Dr. Coreil has there been any discussion about the administration committees?

Dr. Coreil: We discussed it at the last couple of administrative meetings. I think John is working on the committee structure, membership, and the updates that are needed.

Dr. Rowan: As a group we looked at the recommendation from last year, Melissa Whitley was the president and helped with that and made some decisions to remove some of those. Right now the vice-chancellor is dividing up what the remaining committee are and they are looking at structure and membership and moving along. The goal is for the administrative committees to be figured out and ready by April so we don't get well into the academic year before they are done. I think we can do that we just haven't gotten ahead of the curve yet.

M. LaBorde: So do you all have any thoughts about the faculty awards? Does anybody else have any ideas? It would seem to be logical that one committee would do all three, but it doesn't have to be that way. What are you guys thoughts on that?

Dr. Rowan: I don't need an answer right away, but I wanted to make sure you had the opportunity to provide input about what the process would be.

M. LaBorde: We can discuss by email and take action at the next meeting? We will make the decision at the meeting but have the discussion like we have for other items via email.

C. Corbat: I like the way the Bolton award committee is set up that we each elect a member, that each department elects a member. I think those people might be different for judging research versus teaching versus service, because different faculty have different strengths. I would like to see three committees that we elect people to from our departments. Those Bolton packets are pretty hefty, so if you have very many people nominated then that is a lot of information to go through. The nomination packets for the other two awards are pretty simplistic if they stay the same as they were last year. It might be a good idea to divide up the work anyway.

Dr. Rowan: Maybe you might want to request different material for the other two awards. That may be something you would want to recommend.

M. LaBorde: Everybody write that on their action item list for next time.

Dr. Rowan: As to the answer to Kent question the two main topics are the awards and the structure that will be coming up. The advising structure was just for information for now, as was the faculty hires.

M. LaBorde: I have the double major, it is coming up. It is back on the agenda again. I haven't lost that one, just so you know we still have that one. Any other questions for Dr. Rowan? Move on to the president's report. There is not a written report. I am still meeting with the cabinet, Dr. Coreil continues to welcome me as a guest and I am trying to pass that information along in emails. I would like to see us take more responsibility in reminding our colleagues of things, e.g. the final exam survey sent by Dr.

Rowan. Jerri is trying to get the final exam schedule down and they need good data to do that and there was only about 50% of faculty that filled that out. We need better numbers than that, we need to get that information. It is incumbent on us to remind the faculty, I know the department chairs will too but we need to remind our colleagues too. Anything we can do to help to get the best information in their hands is a good thing. I had a student ask me, I do not know if you have looked at the academic calendar. Final grades are due on the 21st, I know Dr. Rowan has it on his radar on how are we going to get those grades done in time. What graduation may look like because that is getting into the holiday week, when faculty would have been typically done the week before, so we need to get this information so these decisions can be made. We do not want to spring something on the faculty at the last minute. Information is important and make sure we are all in tune with what is going on and we have got to get those grades in on time. Because that information has repercussions across the campus. I talked to Darin yesterday and for one our upcoming meetings he is going to come talk to us about budgeting. It will be about budget and restructure and how it will all be tied together. Also how we will fund these different positions, I did look the risk management job is already on the website.

M. Parks: When do offices close before the holidays? December?

Dr. Rowan: I think we are open the 23rd. For final grades I do not believe there is a difference with senior grades. If you are teaching in fall 2 those courses end about 10 days before the deadline. So, hopefully there will be some spacing out of when grades are being recorded.

M. LaBorde: The two students were just asking if grades are not due until the 23rd when will graduation take place, because of the holidays.

D. Rowan: Graduation will be before that.

M. LaBorde: So, graduation is before grades are due?

Dr. Rowan: Yes, does that blow your mind?

M. LaBorde: How will we do honors graduation if graduation is before grades are in?

Dr. Rowan: We probably will not be able to do everything at the ceremony. The dates we are looking at for ceremonies are December 18th and 19th. Friday and Saturday.

C. Corbat: We are not going to have the grades in for our graduates before we determine that they meet graduation requirements

Dr. Rowan: Like most other universities we are going to treat graduation as a ceremony. We used to do our graduation ceremony before final exam week because of the scheduling. The ceremony will be what it is, it is for show if anything and some people will ended up not actually graduating. This is why it we need to compare ourselves to our peer institutions on several levels. Just look around there are lots of ways of doing things. Sometimes what we are doing works great, sometimes there are better ways. In a COVID semester especially, we need to do what students want to do in terms of graduation. They seem to want to have a live graduation, sometime before Christmas Eve.

M. LaBorde: So grades will not have to be early that was an assumption on my part.

C. Corbat: Seems to me we could actually make that grade deadline.

M. LaBorde: Ensure you approve the graduates that we talked about last meeting. Make sure everyone is looking at the academic schedule/calendar I saw a lot of changes on one of the Facebook pages that

the students are on and Abbey monitors it really closely and she was jumping in and answering some of those questions. Committee reports: FPPC needs minutes that reflect who attended the meeting.

M. Waller: We did not actually meet it was all through email. That is why I sent what I sent. We should actually have meetings starting next Tuesday at 1pm and then we should have some minutes.

M. LaBorde: I forwarded the email to everyone. The email states that John Marks accepted as president and Sarah Barnes volunteered to serve as secretary. So, we can treat it the emails as the minutes, if somebody wants to approve FPPC email as meeting minutes. Thoughts?

K. Lachney: I move that we accept the minutes as they were submitted.

M. LaBorde: Because not everyone got the email I will just table it and we will come back to it. Since some of the members get C&C and A&S minutes must have been on the fence if these were considered minutes or not. Can we have a motion to approve the minutes from C&C from 10/5 and from A&S, if we could have a motion to approve those minutes.

M. Whitley: Moved to approve both C&C and A&S minutes.

R. Elder: 2nd

M. LaBorde: All in favor? Any opposed? Unanimously in favor.

R. Elder: I do have a concern, with C&C. I do not think they followed procedure because they did a final approval for two new sub-disciplines in accounting, business administration. I do not have a problem with that, but there was not a first approval. Unless they changed the policy and I am not aware of it they did not follow correct procedure. I just want them to be aware of that.

K. Lachney: I was at that meeting and the members said something like, as we have been doing in the past, I am assuming they are talking about last year. They are going to a direct final approval and the committee that was there approved that. Now whether that was policy or not I do not know. That was the discussion.

R. Elder: Unless they officially changed policy then that would have to be passed through us, I assume. I do not have a problem with that it is just when you go from one structure to another structure completely.

M. Laborde: If I remember correctly when something comes up it has first approval?

R. Elder: It has first approval and then if there is something slightly wrong then you send it back, they fix it and then you can give them a final approval. So, it is just another step, so if there is an issue of some sort that is easily fixed they can do it.

C. Corbat: It may be more serious than what Richard just pointed out. There was something in those minutes that made me think that the C&C members did not have the actual paperwork in front of them. It said something, it said they did not have access to something so Eamon explained what was in it. That bothered me and the fact that we are approving minutes without having access to that C&C drive so we can go look at what supposedly got approved by C&C. We are really not looking at anything.

K. Lachney: I was there and we had three submission from the college of business, one was rescinded, the first one and it's a batch report from applied sciences. Eamon was just explaining why it wasn't being voted on that day. The other two, they had all the forms from the C&C folder and that kind of thing. They had all the information, there no issues and no question. I was just a guest, I just explained what

we were doing and the committee said as we have been doing we will accept it on the first approval. That was the motion that was made and accepted. As far as the policies, I am not really sure what they are for C&C. That is what Eamon discussed that we never brought to a vote, it was pulled out before the meeting was held.

C. Corbat: The minutes were just not very clearly written.

K. Lachney: I agree based on the minutes I was not sure what they were approving and not approving. But because I was there I realized what the discussions were.

C. Corbat: Have we succeeded in getting any access to C&C share point?

M. LaBorde: Not yet, I had just gotten access to the drive, now the drive is not being used anymore. Do I go to IET for that? Or to Jim?

C. Corbat: I think Eamon set it up, that was what was said at the last meeting.

M. Waller: I have a point though, and I am going to argue directly with C. Corbat. If we give the committee the work to do I do not want to redo the work of the committee. I want to trust the committee to do the work. I understand what C. Corbat is talking about, she is talking about oversight and about making sure that everything is done. I respect that, but that is why we have committees. I don't want to have to look at every single thing, every supplementary paperwork that we give every single committee.

C. Corbat: I am not saying we have to but, we should have it there if we want to, if we have a question about something. The other thing is C&C is one committee that we don't hand charges to. Everything else comes to the senate president and is given to a committee. But, things go directly to C&C without passing through the senate president.

M. LaBorde: Jennifer will reach out to Jim and clarify. Make sure that everyone is on the same page with protocol on how things should move through C&C?

J. Innerarity: Not a problem.

M. Waller: One more thing about C&C before we leave it, because Richard was the chair the last time I was on that committee. We have been talking about it for years streamlining the process of procedures and talking about maybe clarifying what those procedures are, especially regarding first consideration. So, we may wish to consider not reviewing C&C charges, because as C. Corbat rightly pointed out they do not come from faculty senate. But, reviewing C&C procedure so that it is very clear and it makes sense and it responds to a different environment in which these procedures were last laid out. Where now we have more easy electronic access and some of these steps we may wish to eliminate streamline, or retain. Might want to keep that on our radar.

M. LaBorde: I agree and seems like everything that went through got waived on first approval.

R. Elder: Not always, but if there were no problems, then we just waived first.

M. LaBorde: We did vote and those minutes are approved and we tabled FPPCs minutes.

M. Whitley: The thought keeps coming to my mind that when Rob Wright was chair of C&C they did go through and change to remove that first consideration. I will ask Rob before we start going back through minutes. I think it was a couple of years ago.

M. LaBorde: Just check with Rob and let Jenny know and she will let all of us know. Anything else on committee reports or committees. Ok.

Old Business

M. LaBorde: Under old business I have schedule of classes for fall 202, that is the possible changes that people have suggested that we haven't looked at but, the deadline would have been Nov 1st for fall 2021. So, I will keep that under old business. We will continue data gathering but that will be something we can work on in the spring. Evaluation of the department chairs, Kent you want to take that item.

K. Lachney: First thank you guys for all the feedback and I tried to incorporate just about everyone's feedback. The form when from 3 pages to 8 pages. I think it would be a good idea to have an electronic version of the document once it is agreed upon. I don't know what our next step is other than to discuss it. Missy shared the screen with Kent and he showed the form. One recommendation was to break the large categories into sub areas. That is what I did with the alphabet. Another recommendation was to go from seven to five. Then explaining the Likert scale 1-5 (1=Unsatisfactory; 5=Superior). Scrolled through all the subparts listed. There is leadership. Management, communication skills, was a good idea could be strong in one area and weak in another

M. LaBorde: I think it works better like it is.

K. Lachney: I agree, the recommendation were good. The communication skill, we could tweak some of the phrases. I am very open to that if you would like to make some changes

J. Innerarity: I don't know if I explained myself, I meant more so with the Likert scale defining. What do what mean (1) and what do you mean by (2). You have 5 as superior, is 4 less superior? Is 3 neutral? Not really good, not really bad? Maybe define each of those. Remember we are going to be using this to evaluate our department heads. Just to give some clarity with that, some may not have a problem but some may not know is it a 4 or a 5. Where am I falling? Maybe at the beginning, so if they are not really sure they can refer back to it.

K. Lachney: That is good, in other words we could consider standards, with lack of a better word, we will use it for now. 1 does not meet the standards, 5 meets the standards and then explain the numbers in-between. More than just unsatisfactory and superior. Continuing on some wanted to add fairness. C. Corbat you suggested the importance of the chair providing leadership in academics. You made a good point, I did not have that on the previous one.

C. Corbat: You might have over addressed it. I of these would have sufficed for encouraging teaching improvement. But I think it got combined with another suggestion I had with, that chairs have to be consistent in application of policy. Because there are so many policies that chairs are responsible for or pieces of e.g. the leave policy, PS 202, annual evaluation of faculty. Those kind of things, so, I had suggested a consistency of the application of university policies. I think it got blended into teaching policies.

K. Lachney: Correct, I picked up here (under Academics). So consistency of university polices?

C. Corbat: Yes, let leave policy would not have anything to do with academic. PS 202 is more of a personal policy then an academic policy. They are responsible for a lot of that sticking to policy.

M. LaBorde: Could that go under budget and resources as human resources? Or under fairness #5?

C. Corbat: Fairness or management.

K. Lachney: There are a couple of places it could go under, so let me work on it a little bit more. I will send you guys a revision and then we can tweak it some more. Then get IET to make it an electronic form so faculty can complete it and will not have to write in and scan it.

C. Corbat: You can on a share point and so you type it in and all the responses go to a spreadsheet. So it is easily tallied.

M. Waller: So long as we can write as much as we need to, because you have a few lines there. Sometimes you may not need it, but sometimes you might want to explain why you chose the score. Just make so we can write however much we wish to write. Also make something that is savable and submittable.

K. Lachney: OK, good point

M. LaBorde: Are there any strong points on what the range would be? Like what Jennifer was asking about? We can talk now or email those responses. We go from unsatisfactory to superior, what the 2, 3, & 4 would be? The 2 might be developing, or needs improvement, 3 meeting expectations.

K. Lachney: Let me look at different Likert scales to add a description that would provide some meaningful information. The comments were very beneficial and I tried to combine all the comments. I will work on it some more and Missy if we can keep on the agenda for next time.

M. LaBorde: I think it is a nice instrument Kent, thank you for putting in so much work and thank all of you for the comments. I have it on the agenda. Moving down the agenda we have administrative committee recommendation. Dr. Coreil addressed that already that they are looking at those. Dr. Rowan said the same thing. They are hoping to get those done soon.

R. Elder: I have a question about evaluation. Are we going to evaluate the chancellor or the vice-chancellors and things like that, like we used to?

M. LaBorde: They are supposed to be done annually, so I would assume they're going to be done in the spring. John, do you know?

Dr. Rowan: My understanding is whatever the instrument was used last time, I guess spring of '19, is scheduled to be done again this coming spring and every spring thereafter. That is through HR.

R. Elder: I was just wondering what is going on with it. With this new instrument?

M. LaBorde: We can always offer it for use, although we have written it for department chairs it would work, and probably better the current instrument. That is my opinion. Policy statements, I will get with Chancey on that and make sure she has the spreadsheet that I just recently got from Melissa W. I have made several notes on the PS anyway. On PS 202 we have talked about it 2 meetings ago. Deborah needed is for accreditation for nursing. PS 202 would be tenure and promotion and the old parts that were taken out of that policy and put that information into a new policy. Clarify and make sure that is indeed what we want to do. Because at one time Richard and Dr. Rowan co-chaired that and thought

that group was going to go back and address that other information. But after talking to people in that group it was no that never came up. So, when is it going to be considered?

Dr. Rowan: Richard, tell me if I am wrong. My recollection is we were going to have the senate as a whole look at those other policy parts that were removed from 202.

R. Elder: Well we are going to have to put them into a different policy or something. The idea was we trying to make 202 reasonably in size. So, that somebody could understand it.

M. LaBorde: So, we are going to pull it out into two. But my question is do you want to put it back together as 202 to get back into the policy statement and published for the nursing group? Then moving forward and pulling it out?

Dr. Rowan: I would not recommend _____ that is someone who is not on the senate.

M. Whitley: I think we should just move forward and make the new policy not go back.

M. LaBorde: We do not have to vote on it, because that is what we had said before and I have already sent it over to the chancellor. Anything else in old business?

R. Elder: Dealing with that do we need to develop a new committee to look at it? Or are we going to have administration develop a policy? Then we just review it?

L. LaBorde: Let me get with Chancey and find out how it supposed to be and figure out what it is going to look like and what the number might be. Maybe give me a couple of weeks to get with Chancey.

New Business

L. LaBorde: Under new business, the process for academic policies when senate leadership met with Dr. Rowan we had several things that had gotten into the catalog that we were not sure about and wondered where it came from. So, there is no process for those kinds of things to move through. So do we need to develop process if we want to make a change to the catalog that is academic in nature? Let the repeat/delete? Do we want to get a group together to determine what that process would look like?

C. Corbat: We did have a process it's just not a written process. We had a traditional process that it went to the senate to be disseminated to committees that was usually A&S for those issues. So, whether we need to put that process into writing, maybe we do. We have a lot of administrative processes that have fallen by the wayside because we didn't have, we have policies, but we don't have an administrative procedures manual. The procedures were all the knowledge base of the people who had been here for years. I am not sure where we start with that, but we need to write down procedures. I guess we could start with these.

M. LaBorde: We don't want things to just appear and then we say where did that come from? A&S looked at this 18 months or so ago, they were not in favor of it, then it ended up in the catalog. We need to get a handle on it so things don't just get done because no one knows it is supposed to go through senate. When we work on this we can bring other faculty members in to help, not just the senate committee members. What might be a good way to tackle this? We need institutional knowledge, so we need to pick people that have the procedural knowledge.

M. Whitley: I would suggest an ad hoc committee, I don't think it has to be representative of every department. But, like you said C. Corbat should definitely be on it and people who have been here a relatively long time. I am not saying the old way we did it has to be the way it is written now. But at least people who have been here can bring the perspective and say this is how it was, do we want to keep it this way or can we make it more efficient.

M. Waller: Maybe it could be as simple as a checklist. Talk about those old procedures and definitely some have a lot of institutional knowledge that supplement this process really informant. Just like the C&C form where you have to have so many people sign off on it. It could be something just as simple as that. So, it doesn't have to be a whole manual about introducing information to faculty senate it could be very simple. I would like to see that as an ad hoc committee and I would like to more than just faculty sitting on this committee. So then it would become a recommendation to administration.

M. LaBorde: Would anyone from senate volunteer or want to be on that ad hoc committee?

C. Corbat: I will do it. I do have a lot of institutional knowledge. There are reasons for these procedures and why we have to do certain things, because it can impact something else, like in the records system, or whatever. Jerri came to me after the last senate meeting and she said we need new section numbers for something. But she said nobody can remember what session numbers are assigned for what reason and she said I had to ask you. Darin said I would be the only person left who would remember why section numbers were assigned as they were. So, I gave them the whole list of every section number that had been assigned by the university and what it meant. But, if you don't have those people you could easily coat over something and make queries return bad data.

M. LaBorde: Anybody else willing or wanting to be part of the committee?

K. Lachney: I think it is great to have faculty with longevity, and maybe some staff. Maybe it would be good to have faculty that have come from other universities within the last five years or so to bring some insight into the ad hoc committee.

M. LaBorde: C. Corbat and I will but our heads together and put a committee together. Any other new business?

M. Parks: I do, regarding elective courses. We have a good number of elective courses across departments. My concern is by the time our kinesiology students need to enroll in a kinesiology course students across campus may have already enrolled in the kinesiology course for an elective and it leaves no room for our majors. We also have UA students who need courses. So, I am not sure how you all handle it in your departments, this semester I noticed we had some students on a wait list. These were kinesiology student on a wait list for 2nd session courses. That just doesn't seem right to me. They are upper level courses. It is UA students and LSUA students just across the campus who may need an upper level elective. We did have the UA director asking for courses for next semester and asking questions for their students. I do not know how to fix it when an upper level kinesiology student needs a course and it is a graduation requirement. I think it is important to leave some room for your majors.

K. Lachney: In business we set a seat cap of zero. Of course it creates a lot of administrative steps but then students who must have the course go through either their advisor or the departmental assistant. They are actually added to the course and that works out good. The registrar can set up the class. We do that with our internship classes and the 4000 level special topic classes. So, that no one can just register

in, we do it for a different reason, but I can see how that may work in your area as well. Every student that goes in has to be manually added. So, you do have some control over who is in the class.

C. Corbat: There is an easier way. In power campus there is a setup that you can set that allows registration only by certain students. There are choices you can make, like only juniors can register, or only seniors can register. But, you also set it for only kinesiology majors can register. That way your kinesiology students can get in on their own and then do like Kent said and put other students in as electives.

M. LaBorde: This bring up another question about UA students. I am surprised that any UA student would be in any upper level course.

M. Parks: We have had some who are working on their associate degree.

M. LaBorde: Any other new business? I will add it to the agenda so it will reflect in the minutes. Next meeting on Tuesday October 27, 2020 at 3pm. I am going to try to send action items we have talked about and I am still going through old minutes from last semester. Three pats on the back, we delivered cookies to Nava, Ashley Nelson, and Mr. Russel Williams. Send your pats on the back and spread the kindness.

M. Waller: Moved to adjourn

R. Elder: 2nd meeting ended at 4:41 pm