

Faculty Senate Meeting
September 15, 2020
Meeting minutes

Faculty senate members: Melissa LaBorde (President), Michelle Waller (Vice-President), Deborah Wood (Secretary), Kent Lachney, Melissa Parks, R. Elder, C. Corbet, J. Innerarity (Sargent at arms) Melissa Whitley, Kerri Ordes, Prakash Ghimire

Guests: Paul Coreil, John Rowan, J. Weston Weston, Chris Stumpf

Approval of minutes from May 5, 2020:

Dr. Coreil clarified the conversation at the last meeting about campus was close to enable students to retail and groceries. Kent Lachney motioned for the minutes to be approved the way they were submitted and Melissa Whitley seconded the motion.

Presidents Report: Started with if there is ever a need to talk about for more topic areas I would be happy to meet with you all. Thank everyone for their flexibility in this time we are living in and throughout the COVID with instructions and especially with students and social distancing. After hurricane Laura I have heard a lot of good stories how faculty is stretching to accommodate our students who do not have internet or just the devastation of whatever is going on at home or whatever if may be. So that is very much appreciated that is what make LSUA the great institution it is, so thank you all for that. The daily tank check symptom checker you have signed up for it and has had pretty good participation but it has declined from faculty and staff over the last week, I it gets kind of redundant every day to answer the same questions but it really helps us understand what's going on out there and the more participation we get the better for keeping our campus open for face-to-face classes. I know some of you have read recently there are two things that we have announced about safety on campus related to COVID-19 one of them is we are going to have a COVID-19 testing center on campus, it will be located by the library, you will be able to sign on an app and get tested. If you have insurance it will be covered if not then the university will cover it. That is to help keep a pulse on what is happening with infections of COVID-19. The dates will be September 29 & 30, 2020 9 am -5 pm, October 20-21 2020 9 am – 5 pm and November 17 & 18, turnaround time will be rather quickly about 48 hours should have results. In the public sometimes it takes 5-7 days. So, this will be a quicker turnaround and it will have more relevance to what is happening with the virus. Going back to the symptom checker the also gives us an idea with what's happening with the virus if people report a positive test and Daniel has been keeping tabs and we will be required to submit a weekly report to the board of regents starting next week of all the people coming to campus who report a positive test including students and faculty and staff and that will be made public as ours has been. We have had ours on our website since the beginning of all the positive tests, we didn't report the name of the person for obvious reasons, privacy, but we have always been open about the positive tests. Again, it is what we

know, we do not know that someone is positive unless they tell us. We ask that everybody that tests positive let us know, so far we are getting quite a report about people being tested. Another thing we are doing and started last night we are disinfecting every classroom that is being used and we have a contractor coming in and it is a fogging system that that is an odorless disinfectant that kills the virus on the surfaces in the classroom and they will going in every evening after we have classes and it is a COVID-19 disinfecting fogging system hospital grade EPA approved and the contractor is Janna King of Alexandria and it is the same company LSU is using they are doing the same fogging system that leaves no odor or residue and is non-toxic and will continue until the end of the fall semester. So, we covering that through the CARES act funds we have, so we really are trying to go above and beyond, it is really not required, we are not mandated to that we just thought it would be something that would help and keep everyone safe, especially student and faculty. One last comment you all know the budget was approved by the legislature and what they did they cut Higher Ed significantly, but what they did was they substituted the cut, not all of it but about 90% with CARES act money from the governor's office. So our state appropriations was significantly cut on record and we have one time may be renewed Congress may have another stimulus but we have federal CARES act money that is largely replacing our state appropriations money at a pretty high percentage and in my mind a dangerous situation, but it was the only thing the governor could do. I applaud him doing that because the only alternative would have been to cut the budget by that amount. So, one year from now if the CARES act money is not there, then that is when we will have to determine and the legislature will have to determine where they will find the funds to a replace those state appropriations. Currently our state appropriations are about 20% of our budget and 80% is self-generated through tuitions fees and other revenue. So, while 20 years ago it was the opposite the impact is somewhat less severe because of the proportion of the state funding we get now, but it is still a significant amount. It is one we will have to keep an eye on. Thanked M. LaBorde for the opportunity to update.

M. LaBorde – Thanked Dr. Coreil and talked about voting in the chat, minutes were unanimously approved, no opposed and no abstaining. Next on the agenda Dr. Rowan's update.

Provost Report: Report begins with Dr. Rowan stating he will go through a number of items and he sent the basic list to M. LaBorde and most are informational but he needs feedback on the first two.

1.) End of fall deadlines for submitting grade:

Fall 2 ends on December 13, we would like for the grade submission deadline to be the Wednesday after that Wednesday December 16, 2020. It will mirror Fall 1 so there is a full three days for those grades to come in. For the full fall term, it now ends on Friday December 18, 2020 because we pushed that back and normally we would have all grades due the following Tuesday the 22nd. I would like ask to have grades due a day earlier which would have to Monday the 21st by noon. If we can do that we can probably avoid the registrar's office from working on Christmas day. I do not day that hyperbolically they would probably have to do that even with late nights on the 23rd and all that.

So, I am hoping that faculty will be OK with those two deadlines that gives three days for each of those after the final event. Would there be any problems or issues with that?

M. LaBorde: What was the original date for campus to close for the holidays? Does anyone know when that was?

Dr. Rowan – Campus closure is still December 23 for normal operations. The original date for faculty was the December 17th that is because commencement was originally scheduled for that day. Commencement is a moving target as well.

M. LaBorde- so we are really just adding two working days to everyone's schedule as far as faculty goes to turn those grades in on the 21st. Right?

Dr. Rowan: Yes, the final exams are still going on through the 18th.

M. LaBorde: I am just trying to think of what people will ask us because typically they are expecting to be done on the 17th and we are extending so we are asking for that and J. Weston's crew would have been off on the 23rd anyway, right? So, we hoping be doing it early we can get them out?

Dr. Rowan: We can actually get them out, well if we do it this way we can get them out on the 24th. They are going to have to work extra time anyway. That is what the registrar's office is faced with the end of the term being so close to the holidays anyway. I tried to work up a compromise but I wanted to check with you all.

M. LaBorde: Asked if anyone had any input or thoughts.

K. Lachney: stated with the changes in the calendar those are probable the realist days we all need to work with.

M. LaBorde: later on the agenda we have something about academic calendar planning because some places like LSU they will take a Saturday and place a Saturday here and there in the calendar instead of extending the whole thing. This is just for this semester because, asked Dr. Rowan was this done just in your office or how was it determined? I am just curious?

Dr. Rowan: Because this had to be determined pretty quickly I discussed with the departments chairs and a few of the faculty and the response I got was rather than doing 5-6 Saturday throughout the fall the preference was to extend the semester as week and that was too much on students to try and compress everything. And it sort of rushed through to get that out.

2.) Statement –

Statement that was a draft about a faculty concern about students using faculty video in ways that they are not supposed to. That is probably covered in the PS we have, but in an effort we have to make sure everyone is on the same page we put this statement together. Wanted to see if this OK with you all.

M. LaBorde: I think what this means is no one wants to be seen on Tic-toc in front of their classes in their face shield.

R. Elder: My question is the way the statement is written does that mean people can't use my class I create for LSU online without my permission? Because that is course material I have developed.

Dr. Rowan: The university and faculty members have non-exclusive rights to that, so if the course needs to be taught and you are not available to teach it or there is some other issue than it can be taught by another faculty member even though you developed it. But that is not really directly part of what is going on here. It is for students is what the original concern was, it should say students, and it should say students.

R. Elder: It doesn't say students anywhere.

M. LaBorde: What if it was changed: All materials created by faculty teaching courses at LSUA including but not limited to electronic materials such as videos and photographs may not be reproduced or posted or otherwise used by students without the consent of the faculty member teaching the course in question. Would that solve it R. Elder for you?

R. Elder: It clarifies it.

M. LaBorde: I would assume that any of us teaching online would have just kind of given consent willingly or not we have kind of given consent. What do y'all think?

R. Elder: Would that also cover the test, you give a test and they copy the test questions and post those on the internet that would be a violation?

Dr. Rowan: I think that is a violation in more than one way.

M. Parks: How do we get this information about this a policy that we may approve to the students? Should this go into our course syllabus?

M. LaBorde: That is an excellent question.

R. Elder: That is assuming the students read the syllabus, even though we tell them to they don't.

M. Parks: They are responsible for the content and because I would like know what the punishment is for someone who, unable to hear. Asked about the punishment for violating the policy?

Dr. Rowan: The new version of the student handbook, student code of conduct indicates that any student, this would be an incident of behavioral misconduct and when there is behavioral misconduct there is a process through the office of the vice chancellor for enrollment and student engagement. And there is no preset punishment for each type of violation you just look at the situation.

M. LaBorde : Policy statement 228 was updated August 1, that was the thing that Abbey wrote and sent around they were trying to make it consistent with the policy statement that was before so it would fall under 228 the student code of conduct.

Dr. Rowan: Any other points or feedback? If not, the rest of the points are a little more informational the 3rd item and this may be redundant with what D. Wood wants to talk about later.

- 3.) **After 202 PS Promotion and Tenure:** **Dr. Rowan:** This was co-chaired by R. Elder and me two years ago. We decided that we needed to replace some of the content with new policies guiding #1 faculty plans and review #2 hiring and dismissal. There may even have been something else in there, but that hasn't been done yet and I know it came up in other faculty venues that

you would like to have language in that policy about that, so that will be a task for us to work on this semester

M. LaBorde: The title of 202 is the Selection, Retention, Promotion, and Annual Review and Termination of fulltime faculty. I think that is where the problem comes in.

D. Wood: That is the problem because all of those things are not addressed in that policy.

Dr. Rowan: R. Elder you can correct me if I am wrong but I think the feeling of the committee at the time that that was just too much for one policy which is why the policy at that time was 39 pages long the decision was made to section out promotion and tenure which is enough and then come back to and readdress these other problems.

D. Wood: That title probably needs to be reworded.

Dr. Rowan: The title has been reworded if not it should have been.

M. LaBorde: It is not, was looking at the website and the title has not been reworded.

D. Wood: That was the problem when we were doing a study for accreditation and the title does not match what is in the policy.

M. LaBorde: So maybe we take out was placed into a different policy and put back what is not and there should be some policy on Selection, Retention, Annual review and termination, Right?

M. Whitley: The annual review is actually covered in Policy 209 now. If it stays in 209 maybe that one will be kind of ticked off, the other needs to be addressed.

M. LaBorde: 209 is listed as faculty workload that is what 209 says it is now.

M. Whitley: I just downloaded the policy and the last few pages are the annual review form.

C. Corbet: The difference between the two is I believe is that because 209 has listed all the faculty duties it does have the faculty plan report at the end of it but PS 202 used to refer to the annual review process and had the outline of how that process occurred and how faculty could appeal the results of that review etc., and all that is gone now.

M. LaBorde: Ok so when we get to new business we will talk about how we are going to get that back. So, we will let Dr. Rowan finish. If that is ok with everybody.

Dr. Rowan: Next information item

- 4.) **Open forums** – I will put this in the chat box as well, over the next few weeks, and I'll be sending out announcement about this week is promotion and tenure, next week is strategic planning and the next week academic structure, I will be sending out announcements about locations, these will be zoomed also I will send out that information. Next:
- 5.) **This year not for the first time** we are going to be re-engaging in program level academic review. I have talked to the chairs about it and it is something that C. Corbet knows needs to happen with more frequency. I think it is supposed happen on a regular basis and it has not been happening which is

really problematic and that will entail each academic program every other year doing a self-assessment basically.

- 6.) **Assessment** – also in terms of assessment we need to as a university be looking at the strategic plan and what that means is a strategic plan identifies five-year goals. What you don't want to do is have goals that you establish and put it down and not do anything and wait for five years and come back to it then. Instead you want incremental goals where do want to be in the first year, second and the third year. We need a whole process for making sure that we making the right kind of progress. That is part of what is going to be in the open forum discussions coming up.
 - 7.) **Double majors** – I am keen on easing the restrictions on and limitations on students being able to double major. If students are pursuing a BS of science in two different areas we should be able to allow that to happen in 120 credit hours. If students are pursuing a BA in two different areas same thing and I would like the faculty senate to look at that. Look at other institutions and see how those are handling this issue and not have that as a barrier.
 - 8.) **Faculty** – Faculty are not changing the course type for example a faculty member who is teaching a hyflex cannot decide they are going to do their class all remote and not tell anyone. That is not happening a lot but students can be very vocal when they are unhappy and I would appreciate you distributing that message.
 - 9.) **Two new faculty awards** - One for Outstanding scholarship and one for outstanding service and since they were approved relatively late last academic year we have gotten some committees together and made some decisions, we should have some more formal policy and process for establishing how we make those decisions for those faculty award winners. Maybe that is another thing we can work on together. That is all for me
- M. LaBorde:** What if we made the Bolton award committee the faculty award committee? Rename it something like that?
- Dr. Rowan:** That depends on if you want the same faculty or whether you want more faculty involved. Pros and cons. That can be decided in the next few months.
- C. Corbet:** John I have a question relative to the title, if we have a class that is titled hyflex but never got the enrollment to exceed room capacity is there any reason all our students can't come to campus any day they want to?
- Dr. Rowan:** No, I think any class that goes from hyflex to fully on campus, right C. Corbet? That is fine we have changed a couple of those that were in the system, just make sure the register and I are aware of that, in fact that is a great thing to being going back.
- C. Corbet:** I just told mine we all can fit into this room there are plenty of desks and come any time you can or you can stay home. I have a few that zoom in but most just come in now.
- Dr. Rowan:** I think it would great for the registrar to know so they can change it in the system, we do have to let regents know what is hybrid and what is full on campus. The more problematic ones were going in other

direction from hyflex to fully remote just in a couple of instances did we have that happen.

J. Weston: C. Corbet if you just let me know what class it is I will get it changed on the class schedule

M. LaBorde: Any other questions for Dr. Rowan?

R. Elder – I have a question, not directly on the report but the policy at LSUA is that everyone wears a mask correct? I mean I know it is but, a lot of the construction people are running around in chambers and they do not have masks with them much less on. And so?

M. LaBorde: none of the roofing guys have them on yesterday either.

R. Elder: I know and it's like 5-6 stand outside the elevator and talk, I mean I'm not worried because I have a mask on but you know it is an inconsistent policy and I don't know if you can make the company make their people wear one

M. LaBorde: Y'all want me to talk to Kevin or Dr. Coreil talk to Kevin

Dr. Coreil: Let me talk to Kevin if we can communicate to them because we may not have communicated directly to the supervisor of that crew so let's do that before we figure out whether that is a problem of not that is our problem because we didn't do a good job.

R. Elder: It just doesn't set a good example for the students, why do we have to if they are not, you know.

Dr. Coreil: I agree with you we need to do a better job with that Thank you.

M. LaBorde: Add a #5 and it would be we will know about chancellor funds on the 14th day. That is what Darren had mentioned on the cabinet meeting. Want to see any of the cabinet meetings Chancey does a really good job getting those out and you can see them. FYI Dr. Halpin has been working really hard on the SACs stuff and there were a couple of PS that needed revision with the names and like Dr. Rowan's title before we had Abbey was vice chancellor of academic and student affairs or whatever it was and Amon went through and made those changes there were no substantive changes made nothing changed in meaning just so y'all know those and I don't have the numbers off the top of my head but there are no changes that oh my gosh what are those changes.

OK – Michelle you want to give reports on the committees

M. Waller: I did not get in touch with the committees until about 2:15 today and I did tell them they need to plan to meet and so there are no reports but I do have the representatives for the all committees with a very few exceptions. ___? Review and Public relations are, forget the term do not have those fully staffed at all times. So, some of the departments did not send me their members. I have contacted Missions and Standards, Course and Curriculums, FPPC and Improvement of Instructions; requested to choose a time to meet and let me know who their officers are once they get elected so we can start sending those charges. I also informed them there were policies reviews that we were still conducting and that they needed to get back to work. I will be getting information from those committees I hope by the end of the week. Then you will start seeing committee meeting minutes.

J. Innerarity: Michelle will you email copy of those committees and members to faculty senate; So that we are aware of the members and the list is easily assessable. 318-447 number?

M. LaBorde: Just make note of that, I appreciate work on ad hoc committee; working hard over summer off the clock – very appreciated – don't feel it's always expected;

Question during the hurricane – do we need to back and get election of alternatives for all of us. Would someone who has a better understanding of the constitution to ask that question.

R. Elder: We are supposed to have a second person to cover for us, and usually I just ask one of my faculty members and then they just show up.

K. Lachney: My department also we just usually ask someone to cover and do not think it was ever a formal thing but it would probably be a good thing. Probably need to select two alternates in case the first one cannot come then the second one could come in place of the representative, it's important to be represented.

R. Elder: Now that we are zooming it, it not that big of a problem. The problem with assigning 2 alternates that all of some departments.

M. LaBorde: That's true.

M. Whitley: We always requested that the departments give an alternate but of them never did so I just never pushed the issue. I think it is just so we can always have a quorum if the senator can't make it, but that really hasn't been an issue so I guess that is why I never really did anything about it.

M. LaBorde: I was just wanting to make sure we were with the constitutional bylaws.

M. Whitley: – We need to be so I guess we need to ask our departments to elect an alternate.

D. Wood: Because if we don't have an official alternate can that still be considered a quorum if you get somebody to come in and sit for you? How does that work?

C. Corbet: I can tell you how we used to work. Each department elected an alternate, and when that alternate came to the meeting in place of regular senator the senate voted to seat the alternate for that day and that meeting only. So not only was the alternate elected but the alternate was seated by the senate for the purposes of the quorum and voting for that particular day.

M. LaBorde: Maybe that is what we need to do.

D. Wood: we need to go back to that so an alternate can vote.

M. LaBorde: Not so farfetched might miss even though we are zoom. Operate in line with our constitution and bylaws and get that done.

R. Elder: Enforce the policy

J. Innerarity: Alternate ready – need an email – reminder if you do not send in an alternate then I will email you again.

M. LaBorde: Do it. Standing committee need members

Old Business –

M. LaBorde: schedule of classes for the spring semester. Everyone is working on this and it was brought up last semester. Request no noon hour classes. Too late in the process.

2 proposals pushed forward, R. Elder, Mike, and Sandy G. to eliminate noon hour Students prefer not to drive to campus everyday prefer two day a week classes and do not want to drive out if they do not have to and faculty want a 75-minute class. Other campuses do not do that and a shortage of class room

Propose to do in the spring schedule ask no noon hour classes in the MWF classes, just to get some time back, students still having trouble meeting
60th anniversary less students, nothing like we used to have. Needs feedback and MWF would be a good start.

R. Elder: It is a first step. No meeting times for faculty or students

M. Waller: asked how many classes do we have right now at noon.

C. Corbet: 4 MWF classes noon

Dr. Rowan: will get the ____

C. Corbet: Nursing and allied health not counted in the mix. Standard 12 o'clock MWF 4 classes and 1 on MW. 5 altogether.

R. Elder: Now 1230

C. Corbet: That is TTH there are 14.

M. LaBorde: as a start we would not be asking for the moon

Catholic student center dropped half and students do not have time to eat.

J. Innerarity: CJA in support of not having the classes in the noon hour students more so

C. Corbet: Feedback from the Biology student association last year having trouble meeting even trying to schedule 2 meetings crossing two time slots and still unable to get students to meet.

M. LaBorde: Well I guess those who didn't see the before may not understand how impacted but it, I have noticed that it has really impacted in just trying to get this group together you'll notice that Monica the little SGA president is not because this was the only time that SG could meet as well. They are talking about the issue. Ricky had brought it up before he graduated and left.

J. Innerarity: A lot of students are focused on coming two days a week. If they are TTH students you can schedule a group meeting all you want, will they come just for that? Students are not going to drive out on an alternate day to attend a meeting this was another issue in CJA because they are heavily enrolled in those TTH classes. They want to come TTH and have their meetings on those days.

M. LaBorde: That will lend to if we make any kind of proposal on schedule or maybe even going back to the old schedule TTH 1215 - 100 pm go back to that time for meetings. Knew. It was not a way to fix it quickly my department and in the hallway.

J. Innerarity: Not proposing the 1215 to 100 meeting and I am a MWF teacher and I am having trouble. There needs to be a balance. Everything in CJ is TTH

R. Elder: Psychology is intermittent as well and we try to set it up where the online classes are difficult to schedule a meeting. Zoom a meeting for both group is even difficult.

M. LaBorde: stated everyone is willing and even this group would consider meeting after hours but should we have to ask that of students. Even have to consider committee and sub-committees having terrible trouble meeting

M. Whitley: FPPC found a time but did not get meet because they could not get a quorum.

M. LaBorde: Well hopefully zoom can help with some of that, so does anybody want make a motion we request as a MWF a start.

C. Corbet: I'll so move it gives us as faculty an hour slot to meet at least. I think it will help some student's organizations, and our students don't have a choice but to be here more than two days a week. You couldn't possibly get a full schedule of lectures and labs in two days. So I know there are some students who are here more than just on TTH.

M. LaBorde: And we know that nursing is different as well because of that Th/Fri day thing. Motion on the floor to request that we keep MWF noon slot open to help facilitate meetings for faculty and student organizations. Vote was called and it was Unanimously yes.

Salary evaluations: PS 236 has been on the agenda over and over again. Dr. Coreil just told us how terrible the budget is but we just want to keep it on the forefront and to ensure that Dr. Coreil and Dr. Rowan look at those salaries & know in the policy that it will be reviewed annually.

R. Elder: Even if nothing is done still needs to be looked at.

M. LaBorde: Asked Dr. Coreil to look at the annual review for faculty follow the policy.

C. Corbet: I recall this a few years ago this being somewhat of an issue just because it hadn't been looked at regularly and then when we did look at it there were some changes just to individual salaries that had gotten kind of out of whack and not doing any kind of overall raise or anything like that. At that time there was a promise that we would look at that to the faculty.

M. LaBorde: Asked that Dr. Coreil add that to his list or growing list. But to look at the annual salary evaluation.

Dr. Coreil: Asked for the PS #

M. LaBorde: 236, I mentioned we had asked for bottom up evaluations of the chairs and in the May meeting minutes we had asked that those department chairs evaluations be done annually. It that something that HR handles and I don't know what the process will be for us to request that, is it just me asking here.

Dr. Rowan: Stated that was approved. That will be happening annually from now on.

M. LaBorde: OK because I thought you said something about in 2 years.

Dr. Rowan: Starting now they will be done every academic year.

M. Waller: Hard to understand – worst grade is a “C” needs improve. Terrible terrible, terrible tool for evaluating a department chair and need a more significant evaluation for such a job, when we need a strong leader. The form is in PS 203.

M. LaBorde: Does anybody know PS updated 2004. Volunteers to review PS 203 since it has not been updated since 2004.

K. Lachney: Volunteered to review that PS 204and update.

M. LaBorde: Recruit some help and not necessarily senators.

C. Corbet: This is not a just a department chair evaluation, this is the same evaluation also for vice-chancellor and deans. May need two different evaluation forms because department chairs don't necessarily do the same thing as chancellors, deans do.

K. Lachney: Only for chairs or for everyone. Pursue the one for department chairs.

M. LaBorde:– The one that is in here is for everyone but we could suggest one for department chairs

K. Lachney: do we need a form for chairs only? Or all administrators.

M. LaBorde: That what I was thinking. But the one that is in here is used for everybody, but we can suggest one for department chairs.

K. Lachney: I will pursue that route.

M. LaBorde: You all agree?

M. Waller: Yes, there are certain positions that are only partially academic, and directorships that need to be are not fully academic and not fully administrative that are kind of in a crevice between those two that also need to be evaluated and I am not suggesting a third form I am suggesting that we chose one way or the other how to evaluate the position in that leadership positions.

K. Lachney: The library is the only academic unit that has a director, right?

Michelle: IET does but they don't, the director does not have any faculty in that department, continuing education does but I don't know if they have any faculty in that department. Might just be library and might just talking about myself and that starts getting to a place I should not discuss in moving forward.

K. Lachney: I understand, I will approach it as a director who has library personnel who have faculty status.

M. LaBorde – Not so farfetched that any policy that has been around that long needs to be looked at anyway and thanked Kent.

New Business

M. LaBorde: J. Innerarity you are up first the consequences of academic dishonesty.

J. Innerarity – retract the first one because I was not aware of the August 1st 2020 update PS 228. Faculty member was concerned about the academic dishonesty. We would like a chance for our faculty to review that policy before making any further statements.

Graduation requirement policy, we had an incident last semester that caused great concern not only with an advisor, faculty member but with staff. We had a student who was up for graduation was taking a science class and dropped a 3 hour science class and only took the lab and needed 2 hours for graduation. The student was contacted and told you need a 2 hour class to meet require for graduation. The advisor told the student to pick a course so the student could graduate. The student informed the department as well as her advisor, I don't need to worry about it anymore because it had been covered. Questioned that the student graduated short of the general education requirement hours and but also found out and she informed the staff and faculty. Not that she graduated short but it was the specific 2 hours, she had other hours to cover and how the student know before the faculty and staff knew. The student informed the faculty and staff about the exception, they would have liked to have known before the student knew. Asked to bring it to faculty senate.

M. LaBorde: How did that happen? Did someone waive it or made an exception?

J. Innerarity: I do not know, we all know there are exceptions made or waives done or special consideration. But it was the fact that the student knew before faculty and staff. She had to inform faculty and staff of this exception not where it should have come from, that was of concern. We would have like to have known from the

registrar's office, the vice-chancellor's office that the student was allowed to graduate. It was the student who informed the faculty and staff. It was an embarrassing incident.

Dr. Rowan: Vague recollection of this one, as you know at the end of spring the grade options and the circumstances and the intent to be as flexible as possible I am quite sure I made more than one mistake along the way. I don't remember this one and I think in an incident like this is to blame the provost and I probably signed off on that one and I probably made a mistake in terms of chain of command communication, that what it sounds like. But I don't think there is any policy practiced that needs to be amended its coming across as something where I just messed up and then that's my guess.

J. Innerarity: I may as well give you an exception, it was more in affect that the student knew before faculty and staff knew, it was really odd moment for that advisor because we don't know what's going on. Did ask to talk and bring it to the faculty senate.

Dr. Rowan: It was a communication error and should have not happened that way and going forward try and make sure it doesn't happen.

M. LaBorde: Maybe the faculty chair or the advisor be the one to tell the student about that and we had trouble with that some provost before who allowed some students to graduation without the 2.0. We don't want the faculty to feel undermined and not in the know. Just let the faculty and the chair know moving forward.

C. Corbet: Bring up the same incident that 2 students were allowed to graduate without meeting the requirements and there is something in the graduation policy requirements that give the faculty the final say on graduation. Graduates can only graduate with the approval of the faculty of their department. So anything like exception, waivers, and substitutions, theoretically all that has to be known by the faculty department who approved the student to graduate with those things in place. So we have the policy it's in the catalog and it has only few cases that it hasn't been followed and should come down to the depart of the qualification of their graduates.

M. LaBorde: That is right when Dr. Rowan presents them to the chancellor he says on the recommendations of the faculty, it in there.

C. Corbet; you may remember when we got the voting sheets, when we had to vote on every graduate whether they should graduate or not and actually still gave that out for years in biology with all the substitutions listed.

M. LaBorde: So maybe this is just another one of those things that we have just done things and done things and we need to bring it back and focus on it again.

J. Innerarity: Like Dr. Rowan said it was a very interesting spring semester and Dr. Rowan I will let our faculty and staff know that you to your knowledge it was just one of those things that happened and we all make mistakes and have problem areas especially when COVID is around. I will acknowledge that to our faculty and staff. Thank you.

M. LaBorde: Deborah we talked about this some but we will talk about it again and figure out what our course of action needs to be or if it is something that we need to

pick up or if administratively needs to be done. Its PS 202 not including all the other stuff. What are you thinking?

D. Wood: Well maybe the title needs to be changed on the one that is current. Maybe look at the rest of the policy and add it back and give it a title as well. Maybe the policy needs to be looked at and ensure that the title meets the content within it. It is all about tenure and promotion, nothing about termination.

Melissa W. I was just going to say, I think the recommendation from that committee was chaired by Dr. Rowan and R. Elder. I think the recommendation was that 202 be only for tenure and promotion and there be a separate policy be written for the other aspects of it. Dr. Rowan & R. Elder do I remember that correctly?

R. Elder: I think that is correct and at that point nobody went ahead and followed up.

Dr. Rowan: I can't remember how it was broken up but I think there was a recommendation for two additional policies. But it was defiantly recommended that rest of it not be in the tenure and promotion.

M. LaBorde: Where there any policies on the other campuses LSU campuses that are like 202a, 202b.

C. Corbet: the one on the LSU website it made our old 202 look like an executive summary. It was like a hundred and twenty pages long. I mean it's ridiculous.

M. LaBorde: So perhaps quick fix might be to rename 202 find the content that they struck from 202 rename it with the remaining information and give it a new number to take care of this particular issue for nursing accreditation quickly. Knowing that the committee that Dr. Rowan and Dr. Elder chaired will go back and revisit it and get that done.

D. Wood: That would be OK we need to look at the other content and it should be around.

C. Corbet: I do have a copy of the old 202 I believe.

M. LaBorde: The chancellor's office is supposed to have should have a copy of all of those policies and every iteration of them. That should not be too difficult to find.

Melissa W.: That is probably my fault because I don't think it was the intention of that committee to rewrite those 2 policies I probably should have charged that to one of our standing committees and I just dropped the ball. So that falls on me and I apologize.

M. LaBorde: So you think that easy fix will work that we just find, from C. Corbet we get that and we rename it and 202 becomes named just promotion and tenure. Does that sound like a course of action? I think this one needs to be voted on though.

Melissa W.: We could keep the same content but if we want to make the two separate policies, go ahead and make them the right number and then come back to them, but still give an accreditation fix for nursing.

M. LaBorde: So do we need to vote on that as a course of action or do we need to vote.

Michelle: I think we need to vote and I make a motion that we rename 202 to correctly describe what address is and that we name something, something policy for the other stuff.

M. LaBorde: That we basically correct 202 to reflect what's in it and pick back up the things that were omitted into a new policy.

C. Corbet: Are we making a recommendation to administration. We don't write policies for the university, we are just making a recommending that the administration pick up that content and put it into a new policy.

D. Wood: Right a recommendation.

Michelle: I was a part of that committee and I think that was what we had planned on doing anyway and we are just following up on that recommendation.

M. LaBorde: So we have a motion and all in favor. No oppositions, no abstentions, all in favor, unanimously yes.

C. Corbet: I sent another concern about 202 you remember and is going to send her concern with PS 202 it again.

M. LaBorde: There are some thing I have had other people mention about 202 as it was rewritten that may have left out some things people might have really wanted still in there and I know that was a committee thing but we will pick that back up so

D. Wood add that to an action plan to revisit 202. We have already covered security and the class videos that was the one about people taking the videos and us showing up on weird social media.

R. Elder: at the beginning of the meeting I got an email teaching committee from the summer with concerns about that exact thing.

M. LaBorde: Quite the timely topic. COVID 19 measure the traffic flow, y'all will notice it did get updated either by the ad hoc committee, a hallway committee or somebody who worked the "ask me" on the first day about the one-way down the hall in Mulder. Dr. Coreil and Daniel and took some of our suggestion but there are still students congregating around upstairs but at least it is two way directional and I keep telling people to stay right. We know students are not going to follow it to a tee but at least it shows that we took it seriously and at least tried. Dr. Coreil was worried about the hurricane and that was a rough start but we got it lined out and I appreciate that we were at least heard. Let J. Weston get to the two items she has. Academic action, suspension, probation?

J. Weston: Yes what I am asking is that to come work with the academic standards committee we have had several questions by faculty, staff, administration, and students of lot of questions about our current academic action policy suspension and probation and if we could come up with something different so I am asking to work with academic standards group to work on a proposal of what it could change into.

M. LaBorde: So that would be part of the charges for that committee for this semester, correct? Is that how we would approach that? So you can record that Deborah and keep a running tally of what we are going to dishing out to the sub-committees and the standing committees. J. Weston do you have any examples or anything more on that or y'all just need to get together and kind of revamp.

J. Weston: Ammon, Cathy, and I did meet and so we have some ideas that we can work with the group and see, one of the biggest things is just bringing it that down to a 2.0 GPA to quality if you drop below then take away the credit hours and the number of the quality points that piece of it is what we were asked to look at specifically.

M. LaBorde: Question for J. Weston?

C. Corbet: Suggested that we look at LSU system policy throughout the system as well because some of this stuff dates when we had an academic office at the system level when Hargrave was in there is a lot of things that are consistency across the LSU schools which does help with students who are transferring back and forth with the same standards and GPA. We need to be careful that we are being constant within our own system.

M. LaBorde: any other comments on that particular topic? OK let's go to academic calendar plan. Go ahead J. Weston.

J. Weston: So this is my first hurricane and in Montana we never shut school down regardless of the how bad the weather gets you are expected to show up. So I reached out to some colleagues in LSU in preparation for the calendar and what it looked like and what we needed to do. Everybody came back to me and said we should have policy or some solutions on how we would handle these things and we don't here at LSUA. So I would like someone from this group to represent and be on a committee with us to come together to create that policy and it would be an academic calendar interruption policy and how we handle that, Saturdays, is it extending semesters, days in, how many days we missed and stuff like that. I would just like someone from this committee to come be on our committee, do you guys want to vote that or decide that or volunteer? I will have someone from SLT, a couple of faculty members, you guys, and some from different administrative offices.

M. LaBorde: Any takers?

C. Corbet: I will do it.

J. Weston: Thank You C. Corbet

M. LaBorde: Meeting dates, every 2 weeks we will meet by zoom and stick with this time if that is OK everybody and for the we will not look as far ahead as the on the spring semester but we know it is on the horizon, hopefully if we can do the MWF that we request if that gets approved we may have another option to not meet at this time. We try to work around everyone's teaching schedule, but it gets pretty tough and that is the least favorite part of my job ever.

Melissa W: You will not have to work around my class ever after this semester.

M. LaBorde: any anno

R. Elder: Comment when I was first on senate we were meeting at 4:30 every week

M. LaBorde: I have heard of every week, early in the afternoon, late in the afternoon and I have heard early in the morning. I do appreciate that everyone is so willing to find a time but I would like to keep it during working hours.

M. Whitley: I have an announcement, so I am a member of ASH the association of study for higher education and they are partnering with ACAC, LCAM and on Friday September the 18th I would like for LSUA to participate in a social media campaign it is called "Why apply" you just encourage faculty, staff, students wear something from their undergrad and take a selfie or something, video or anything on why you applied to college and how has that improved your life. It is supposed to get high school students to apply for college and to do their FASFAs and thing like that. There is supposed to be an email going out today and tomorrow explaining everything but just be hashtag why apply.

M. LaBorde: Thank you for the hour and thirty-two minutes.

R. Elder: Moved to adjourn at 4:33 pm. All were in favor.