

Faculty Senate Meeting
September 29, 2020 3:00 pm
Zoom meeting

Senate Members: Melissa LaBorde (President), C. Corbat, Kent Lachney, Jennifer Innerarity (Parliamentarian) Deborah Wood (secretary), R. Elder, Melissa Whitley, Melissa Park, Kerry, Ordes, Michelle Waller, Prakash Ghimire

Guests: Paul Coreil, John Rowan, Jerri Weston, Greg Gormanous,

M. LaBorde: Meeting called to order at 3:01pm. Faculty senate minutes will be voted on by email. Quorum requirements met. Opening speaker, Dr. Coreil

Guest remarks:

Dr. Coreil: Looks forward providing updates. Campus restructuring is on the front burner, and on the minds of so many of you right now. Message I want to give you all is, I have been back about 15 months now and I'm not quite the newbie I was, it has been about 2 years if you add the two assignments together. I know the campus well and getting to know the community better. We have a lot of stress on the campus and it is no doubt on the community and students that go here really appreciate the educational opportunity we offer. It is very critical to the health and goodwill of our community. I hear it and see it all the time. One of the things we need to do is look at how we can be more impactful as an organization. We have a lot of departments some are small, some are large. We need to have much more of a streamline impact on what we are doing and the transformation we have to have on impact I think needs to be relooked at and which structure would that allow us to do a better job of looking to the future. I was with LSU now for almost 40 years and I yearn for a lot of things that have been done in the past but they cannot be done today. Things have changed. Needs have changed, the way we communicate has changed. The timeframe and attention span of people has changed. So I really think we need to embrace a restructuring of our academic departments. When John approached me about this over a year ago, when I first came back, I was very apprehensive about it. Let's just try it out, let's do it slowly. As you know we embraced the first step by moving forward with the Department of Business and moving into a college. I have been overwhelmed by positive impact it has had. It is way beyond what most of you have realized. Talking to the business community, talking to students, looking at enrollment. Looking at the money coming into that college. It's just an amazing story. The enhancement of transforming that department to a college with a dean is a big part of what has given the community, the business community, and the students, and the supporters of our campus much needed shot in the arm our campus maturing to a four year institution and increasing our impact. It's just an amazing story. I heard some things today in fact we had a Foundation finance committee and the things happening there came up and we are going to be getting small business development support with the chamber which is another good example of opportunities coming forward to us. All I want to leave with you all today, as chancellor, as someone who has been in Higher Ed a long time, someone who is traditionally resistant to change, and I am right there with the others who yearn for things not to change that much. I am convinced this is a major step forward for LSUA, I think you are going to see tremendous

benefits and return on investments are going to be good. It is going to be positive. I need for you all to be objective and listen and look at the possibilities as a result of the example we have in our college of business. We know that opportunities will be different in each areas of study. But I really see how those benefits can be extrapolated into other areas of study that we are doing now. I am big into community outreach and community support. I think this structure will help us do a better job of that. That was the message wanted to bring to you all and I respect other opinions, no doubt. I want to listen to what you have to say and we want to talk about it and get all the input we can. But I wanted you all to know my position and the view that I have at this point looking at advancing the future of our campus, our enrollment, our support, and the overall sustainability and growth of our campus. That was the message and I appreciation the opportunity to share some of my thoughts with you.

M. LaBorde: Anybody have questions for Dr. Coreil?

M. Waller: A couple of years ago Dr. Hong restructured the library out from academics and we are kind of hanging out in no man's land no persons land, with other auxiliary departments on campus, and to a degree that is understandable. But we have faculty in our department which makes us not really as good a fit as some of the auxiliary departments like continuing education where there is to my knowledge no faculty there. So if we are reconsidering could we reconsider the library back under academics?

Dr. Coreil: Some of the last things you said did not come through, but I think I heard the heart and soul what you said. Absolutely, that is a good comment. I think the fact that faculty in library we need to be sensitive to making sure they don't see their position as being diminished in any way and that is a real good comment. It makes a lot of sense, I appreciate that and we need to look at that very closely.

M. Waller: Thank you very much.

M. LaBorde: I am just curious when Dr. Rowen was first talking about it, it was going to have to be, and I forget the term we used. But as far as the budgeting it had to be at net 0? Are we looking at that a little bit differently now or is it still going to have to be net 0? I know Dr. Rowan was trying his best to figure out how to make that happen.

Dr. Coreil: That is one of the good examples of the fact that we are listening. Currently John and I have talked about this for the last 48 hours and it does not have to be at net 0 anymore, we are going to invest some money into this and some of it is to make sure we are sensitive to the impact it will have on people. The answer is it does not have to be net 0 anymore.

M. Parks: I am just wondering what the time frame for the restructuring?

Dr. Coreil: Well I think the conversation is being reengaged since we did business about a year ago. John will be able to share I think we has a few comments with the timeframe proposed. But you don't want to lock yourself into a specific date. I think if you are getting input we should use the input and may take a little time to process the input before we can say a specific date. John in a perfect world what be the beginning date of the implementation of this?

Dr. Rowan: I think in a perfect world it would go into effect next summer for next fall. We are looking at a variety of things that hopefully go along with this. The

chancellor can tell you I am advocating for faculty positions. We have been talking advising and some of that is coming along with it and if things work out we could see some real steps forward by July/August next year.

M. LaBorde: Questions? Now is your chance. I would encourage you to go to the forums or at least watch the forums. Hopefully Dr. Rowan will be able to record it for us.

R. Elder: I was just going to comment I don't have any questions because I do not know the structuring they are offering now. I had problems with what was offered last year. But if it has changed I might have problems with it, I don't know. The size of some of the colleges were a problem for me.

Dr. Rowan: I think we had a faculty committee in the spring that got together and researched a variety of other institutions particularly COPLAC institutions, they had some recommendations that is where we will start. We will have 3 open forums, the first will start tomorrow. It is not the same structure that we left with R. Elder.

Dr. Coreil: One thing I will say is these faculty senate interactions are very important, but obviously not every faculty member can attend. So please spread the word, if someone has any ideas, words, comments, or feedback, I think you all ought to know that John and I are more willing to visit with anyone. My office door is open most of the time, anybody can come visit. I am looking forward after the forums to visit with anyone who may not be on the faculty senate. I know some people would rather talk 1:1 then speak in large groups. It is whatever you are comfortable with and think most of you have come to visit. The invitation is open all this time. I will tell you that LSU board of supervisors called a surprise supervisor meeting that starts in about 15 minutes so I am going to have to drop off. But the invitation I just said is an open invitation and will be through this entire process. I will be coming back because I have most of the faculty senate meetings on my calendar. I will always make it a priority.

M. LaBorde: Thank you Dr. Coreil. C. Corbat you had a question? Is it something John can answer?

C. Corbat: It was for John actually. Who was on the faculty committee that met last spring because we haven't even heard of it in our department and it wasn't a senate appointed committee.-

Dr. Rowan: No it was an ad hoc committee of faculty I called for and I can't remember, I don't remember if anyone from this particular group was on it. I wanted to engage a broader range of faculty, so I tried to get one from each department. Jennifer was on it actually. I tried to get faculty who were not as involved getting them looking at other options. We will use that as a starting point and see how the discussion goes from there tomorrow.

C. Corbat: Did biology have a rep?

Dr. Rowan: Yes, Lisa Marshall was the rep.

Dr. Coreil: Dropping off.

M. LaBorde: This is a good example, we have got to make sure we are really working hard to communicate down and reminding people on other committees to communicate with others in their department. Because if C. Corbat hasn't heard of if Lisa wasn't sharing that. Brenda was on the committee for us, we had so few faculty meetings, but we knew about it because she is across the hall. We have got to do a

better job of that and that is why minutes of a committee meetings are so important. Did they keep minutes Dr. Rowan?

Dr. Rowan: I don't even remember. I don't even remember who the chairs or co-chairs were. This was pre-COVID we met once or twice after, I just don't remember.

M. LaBorde: We just need to make sure we are doing a good job of keeping those records because they are going to get lost. I can't even what went yesterday let alone trying to think back, you know we are all so swamped with that. So in the chancellor's cabinet those meetings are online. What used to be the academic council which is now the chairs counsel, those minutes have been online historically but there has been an issue with our server so we are trying to see how to get that corrected. I can't reiterate how important that is because people change positions and decisions get made and no one knows how we got to where we are, and it so much easier to move forward when we know how we got here. Remind people when you are in your department to share that information that is the only way we can keep going.

Dr. Rowan: We have had some very productive open forum sessions for the past 2 weeks. Setting aside my technological deficiency with zoom are getting a little bit better. But we talked about promotion and tenure 2 weeks ago. Last week was about strategic planning. Hopefully if your department has not completed a strategic plan then that will get picked up again and get wrapped up relatively soon. Then tomorrow and Thursday there will be open forums about academic structure, as Dr. Coreil pointed out. Secondly there will be 3 spend the day at A sessions or events this semester. Two of which will be virtual and one will be on campus scheduled for Saturday Nov 14. I bring this up because we ended up OK in terms of enrollment. We actually had the highest ever head count enrollment for census day. But we had to scratch and claw and make phone calls, and texts, and follow-up, for every single student that we got. Even then the on campus enrollment continues to decline. It was made up for by online enrollment, but as you probably know the revenue we get from each online student is considerably less than the revenue we get from the on campus student. So even though head count is up, budget is down relative to last year. I think about \$140,000 down. So we need everyone on board when it comes to recruiting, marketing, and then retaining students.

3.) It turns out that we have some additional COVID 19 Cares money available specifically for mobile technology or some technological equipment that supports mobile learning. So I sent a message out to the department chairs and I sent a message out to the faculty on remote teaching asking for suggestion, if you have priorities or needs you think are most important. These can be things like laptops, iPad, headphones, hot spots, more swivel arms in classrooms. So if you have any suggestion or input it would be great for you to share that with me. I can make sure that is noted when we make those decisions.

M. LaBorde: What is the timeline on that? How soon?

Dr. Rowan: Soon, the timeline is supposed to be a little bit lenient. But LSU has been on our backs wanting to know how we are spending it, which worries me a little bit. Because they allocated our share of this pot of money and my concern is if we are not spending it fast enough to their liking they may want some of it back. So I want

to at least respond to them with a plan. Here is the way we are planning on spending it. So your help with that will be appreciated.

The last point for today. The calendar says this Thursday is Oct 1 is 1st call for Bolton award nominations. That's a long process, as you know. But remember now besides the Bolton award for teaching excellence there are 2 other awards. One faculty award for outstanding scholarship and one faculty award for outstanding service. The processes have not been set up for those. I managed to get funding for that last spring and I did very quickly and haphazardly. I would like input from the faculty senate about how you want the process of those awards to be decided. I don't mind setting faculty committees and reviewing materials making those decisions on how those are awarded. But I think it is appropriate that the senate should advise the provost on how I should go about doing that. And that's it for now.

C. Corbat: I have a question on the Bolton Award since you were talking about committees. The Bolton Award committee has traditionally elected representatives for each department and have you gotten those names, because I don't think our department has elected a Bolton Award person this year yet.

Dr. Rowan: There is nothing that I am aware of yet in terms of the population, populating the committee. If there is something I need to be doing like putting out an announcement. I can do that, I just wasn't aware I needed to do that.

C. Corbat: Well the instructions for that were on the administrative committees list. We always get an email from the Chancellor's secretary saying you must elect people for these administrative committees and the Bolton award was one of them. But we haven't gotten that email in a couple of years. So I know we haven't elected

Dr. Rowan: Come to think about it has anyone seen anything about administration committees generally?

C. Corbat: Not for 2 years.

M. LaBorde: In the senate last fall we were asked to go through the list and see what committees we thought we still needed and which ones we didn't. That list I'm assuming went forward, Melissa? Right? So all that was sent forward and I haven't heard anything. I know it is probably on Dr. Coreil's radar because I heard it come up before. But when we pivoted in the spring and went to remote teaching, you may understand how some things were not right in the middle of the radar and I think it is on the radar screen now. So let's make sure it's in the minutes and we asked about it. Dr. Rowan can you please make sure that is on the senior leadership team.

Dr. Rowan: Very good.

M. LaBorde: Any other questions for Dr. Rowan. Make sure you attend the forums if you can.

President's report:-

M. LaBorde: I sent some things just as an update. I am very thankful to Dr. Coreil for inviting me to his cabinet meetings because it gives you an overview of what's going on and I think that is important. We haven't had that in a while. A lot of time the administration faculty, like Dr. Rowan, or the department chairs their point of view is a little bit different than just a regular faculty member. So I think it adds for a robust discussion. We had some discussion in just the senior leadership team. You all saw the update there with the PS 236. Deron and Dr. Rowan did go through the faculty salary and took a peak at them. There did not appear to be anything grossly

out of line. The only way to get a raise right now is to go through the promotion process. With the budget realities as they are that is just the way it is. Our concern was that that policy was not being followed and that's getting into the rotation because I think the policy actually says it should be in the spring when the budget is starting to be put together. But that is on the radar. Deron assured me that would be going on. Next, we talked about the scheduling for spring. After we had a lengthy discussion on it and Dr. Rowan agreed to look and see how many were in that noon hour that we had asked for and there was only one and he is going to follow-up with that faculty member and see if it could be adjusted. So hopefully in the spring it will be easier to do committee meetings. Look at some suggestions that have been meandering around about possible real schedule changes that may or may not be wanted. I know R. Elder sent one and Mike Wright sent one, I didn't share the one Mike sent because it wasn't the right time. Dr. Rowan had stated that if we wanted to make a change that Nov 1st would be the deadline to make that happen. I think that is unrealistic for us to get anything substantially done with all the stakeholders to be together on that. Maybe I am being pessimistic about that. But Abbey is going to be working with SG to get their input, but we haven't even told them what we suggested. I think we would be unrealistic for all of next year on Nov1st deadline Does anyone have any more optimistic look at that, or that we might be able to do that in a month. No comments. Ask everyone to poll departments we knew the MWF requests. We have polled some students and asked them what days of the week. We asked them do like you 75 minutes slot, do you like the 50 minute slot? Interesting because some faculty like that 75 minute time slot. There weren't any of mine in the comm group. They preferred the 50 minute slot. But we need to gather that information before we can make any recommendation. I will share what Mike sent us and I will find what R. Elder sent us, and maybe one more, Sandy Gilliland. I will track that down and get that dialog and start but I don't think we can get as quickly as Dr. Rowan wants. Got to get the ball rolling and there could be there will be no change at all.

R. Elder: I say just move ahead with it.

C. Corbat: I think there should be more we look at besides just student or faculty opinion. That is pedagogy. There are a number of studies on the amount of time that a student can be expected to concentrate on material and it depends on how actively engaged with the material they are. So I know that there are some of my colleagues we prefer 50 minutes for some of our classes because there is such heavy content that it's easier if students get more exposure to it in a week in smaller blocks. So I think we should look at some pedagogical stuff before we make decision based on opinions.

M. LaBorde: I remember Ken Bain he had some information about that and we can go back and look at that kind of stuff too. So just keeping it on the to-do-list, the very long to-do-list. For the ad hoc committee, I had a question about what did the committee decide. From what I can understand about the video recordings, about faculty not wanting to be showing up everywhere. The way I understand is if we bring it up and push it towards them and we haven't had an incident yet it might cause more incidents of it.

R. Elder: That was kind of what was said. The recommendation of the committee, as I remember it, was to take that statement put in the student handbook, but don't advertise it. Right now there is nothing to address it at all without stretching what's there

M. LaBorde: That is what I understood as well. And for the education people who were worried about the student teachers and the students being videoed and those things. Just follow what your syllabus would do for any other non-regular absence on how you would get somebody up to speed. That's the way I understood that part of it. Is that a good understanding for those of you who were on the meeting? Just follow your syllabus.

K. Lachney: That is correct and I agree with M. LaBorde. That was the conclusion at that we came up with.

M. LaBorde: Thanks to C. Corbat for serving on that committee with Jerri and to Kent for doing the department chair evaluation. We will get to that in a minute. Encourage everyone in your department to do the tank check stuff. I forgot what Daniel reported in the meeting the other day but we as a campus are not doing real real great. I think we are in line with LSU but we could do so much better. Encourage people to do that because that is how we are going to keep up with that.

M. Waller: I just want to say I take it very seriously but I did not realize that we need to take this test on the weekend as well. I was just taking it M-F. So I have really slacked off because I didn't realize.

M. LaBorde: I think Daniel is on top of it watching to see if it trends up and if people are getting on board or not. I know Daniel is working really hard for us. So you know that we as a faculty wanted to know if somebody in our classroom tested positive. There is no way for Daniel to tell us, but encourage your students to keep you informed and encourage them to let Daniel know so he can have accurate numbers. That's the best we can ask for. We can't demand that they tell us.

M. Parks: Back to the symptoms checkers, some of the notifications are going through junk mail. That may be why some of the faculty and staff are missing those emails. I had to check my junk mail every morning. I had not realized they were going through junk mail and I had missed several days.

M. LaBorde: Maybe I should let Daniel know that. I got an email said I hadn't done any and I had done every one of them. It's sure there are some quirks going on and thank you for that Melissa

R. Elder: I got one too and that was only for LSU faculty, and then I got another email 20 minutes later saying I wasn't doing it. So yes there are glitches.

M. LaBorde: They are trying to work through it. Another thing I need everyone to know about, is gathered information from your departments whenever your departments meet or just talking in the hallways. One thing that will be on the agenda for next meeting is double majors. It is something that we talked about and Dr. Rowan wants us to look at it as well, trying to streamline and remove any barriers from students. For instance in my group comm and psychology seem to be popular. Business and communication seem to be very popular. So get that on your radar. I want everybody thinking about it because we are going to bring that up. Thursday is LSUA giving day. As a former fund raiser when you do giving days it's not really about the amount of money you raise it's about the number of people who

participate. Of course they want a lot of money too. It speaks volumes when a large number of your faculty and staff gave to it. So consider making a donation for giving day. Several of the policy statement we need to go back and look at what our minutes say from the last meeting because we so did that pivot to remote go to online we need to go back. I will go back through the old minutes find out. Melissa W. sent me some good stuff on what was still pending and I will get that so we can get back on track with what we need to do with the policy statement suggestions to push forward to the administration. In the senior leadership meeting on Friday Dr. Coreil suggested those of us who know legislators or those of us who are comfortable speaking to our legislators that we advocate for higher ED, because we are still continuing to go down and the support from the state is not a high priority. He did give me some suggested talking points that I will send to you if any of you feel inclined to talk to your representatives or senators from the state legislation.

Jerri Weston (Guest): There is a group of us who got together for financial aid and admissions to look at possibly of eliminating Fall 1 & 2 – 1 fall term with 2 parts of the term. So far we have IET, Deron, financial aid, admission, and myself involved in this meeting and now coming to you guys to see if there are any issues that we have not identified.

Why now and why wasn't this done when power campus was integrated and the answer I received was at that time power campus could not build on program codes that it does now. In Deron's word we should have done it this way in the first place but the ability wasn't there and it is now able to do it this way. And what it would do for those offices that came and started this conversation is that for financial aid they would only have to award once per term instead of twice per term students financial aid. Admissions would be able to quit bouncing student's applications back and forth right now if they say want to come fall 2 then they meet with their advisors and they say oh I they want to get a head start and they want to start in Fall 1. We have to clear everything out of power campus and then rebuild the application in to get them into the correct term so it doesn't mess up our data down the road. As you all know that online numbers have increased and that is great and we are going to continue this that and that becomes a large job when kids are flipping back and forth like that all the time. So that the other reason.

3.) On the schedule we would only need one section for you all. We won't need a fall 1 and 1st session and fall 2 and a 2nd session. Just give us 1 section for your courses and won't have to worry about them getting merged into MOODLE. Those are the positives of it. The things that have identified as could have been road blocks. There are of course different fees for online program vs an online course – Deron and I did do some research and did some testing in power campus and we were able to find some solution for that. Power campus has improved and it is able to handle those situations where the fees go on based on the program as well. I think we dispelled anything we found. But I wanted to come to you all and see if there is something we are missing? Or a concern you have that we haven't thought of? If you can't think of if right now that is ok you have some time. We want to move forward with this for Fall 2021. We have to right along with building the Spring schedule we get the Fall dates in and figure all that out as well for numerous different entities. That is why we are coming to you now asking so we can get this done in a timely manner.

K. Lachney: Just to clarify you mentioned Fall1, I am presuming you are meaning fall, spring, and summer?

J. Weston: Right

K. Lachney: So we would call it Fall or whatever but it would still have the two sessions within what we call a semester. Still have a fall 1 and fall 2, we might not call it that but we still have 2 seven week session within the semester.

J. Weston: Yes, we would have a Fall and then a 1st and 2nd session. We would keep the 2 session within the semester.

K. Lachney: Including the summer?

J. Weston: We would like to do it this way in the summer. We would like to open up summer to a 14 week over all for those students who maybe want to do internships, research opportunities, and those types of things would have a 14 week opportunity to get those done and work with faculty and then go to 2 seven week sessions as well. I know that right now we do have a couple of 4 weeks. In number of course we offered in session A last summer we had 27 and in the B session there were 7. I also do know the benefit of a 4 week and so that, summer is up for discussion about how we revamp that and redo that. I do know that 4 week classes for kids, they failed and it is going to prevent them from progressing in their degree in the fall, it kind of a way for them to make that up in the summertime and maybe they don't have 7 weeks to dedicate to it. I don't want to take that completely off the table but maybe reduce that to only 1 -4 week term instead of the two. That all is open for discussion.

M. LaBorde: Something else this would help this with, I know you have heard us say, Theresa has told us over and over, don't put students certain sessions that are not supposed to be in because it takes an enormous amount of work to have to be backed out of a course, this would help with that as well. So you wouldn't be letting student schedule in session they are not supposed to be in.

K. Lachney: So Jerri, we would no longer distinguish between face-to-face students in a 7 week class with a 100% online student?

J. Weston: You still be able to distinguish them by the program codes. Because if they are online only their program code has an O in it.

C. Corbat: Do we still have the ability to restrict the 7 week sessions to only 100% online students

J. Weston: Yes, we can, that's in that others allowed tab.

C. Corbat: So that others allowed tab will now allow program codes to be one of the _____?

J. Weston: That's what Deron and I have found, we want to do a little more testing on it but everything looks like it's a go, but there will be more testing done on that. If it can't be done that was Deron had another that I haven't had a chance to talk to him about. There is a way.

C. Corbat: I know we talked about this forever during the time period when we set these thing up. Our only reason for setting it up the way it was, was because power campus couldn't handle on the accounting end and if they have now found a way to do it, I can't see an academic down side to it as long as we can limit the 7 week courses to 100% online students.

M. LaBorde: Any other input? The summer staff still being talked about and you will let us know where that lands. So if you all can think of anything that she would

need to consider please pass that along to Jerri. They are trying to streamline these processes so it doesn't take so much on the back side. The stuff we don't see, you know we are worried about teaching our class and we don't think about those other things.

K. Lachney: We would still have the availability of 16 week classes. And also the JKL for the 16 week classes.

J. Weston: Yes

K. Lachney: I don't see a reason not to do it if makes is simpler for other departments.

J. Weston: In the summer is there anyone married to the 4 week classes. Like absolutely they are necessary.

C. Corbat: I would hate to see us eliminate them because they work when you have sequence courses. It gives faculty a lot of down time too, they can come in and do a sequence for 4 weeks, a different faculty do the next sequence for 4 weeks and then they have the rest of the summer off. I think they have worked well for some of us and I would hate to say eliminate it without polling our department.

J. Weston: Okay

M. LaBorde: Put that on your list if you think that is something your department might feel strongly about. Have you all started meeting on the academic calendar plan yet?

J. Weston: No not yet I want to get these schedules done this week, especially the first round of them and the 2nd round next week.

K. Lachney: What is the status of the 1st draft of the spring schedule?

J. Weston: We have 5 ½ departments done and built. So we have 2 ½ left to get yet. It's coming along just had to take some time today for some interviews. We are trying to get them out to you guys as we are completing them If Shelia and them get back in time another round out today.

K. Lachney: The last thing I want to mention today I know you have heard from our college enough today. But when we request course sub, the form is filled out and sent to your office and then it comes back the chair and then it goes back. We never receive a conformation saying the course has been accepted for substitution. We confer with our department or college but if we are submitting those to other departments. What ends up happening is students start inquiring and do not know where the sub is in the process.

J. Weston: That is a good point. That is one we are trying to get a line so there is a flow so that people would be notified along the way. The graduation application ran into a snag with the programmers and that is why we are a little behind on forms. That is why it is the 3rd form on the list to go out. It's the:

1. Graduation app 2.) The change of curriculum 3.)The add/drop 4.) Sub app, sorry it's the 4th. They told me now they have built one and got all the snags out the other ones will go much faster. Fingers crossed that will go as planned and the will all be up by of fall.

M. LaBorde: good information, anymore questions for Jerri?

C. Corbat: I have a question relative to the flow. The problem I have with the flow is that we never know where anything is, once it passes you, you can't find it again. So how is that going to help us know where the snags are?

J. Weston: I know with drop/add request admin and department chair have access to track where that form is. I don't know that they use it. But each department has their own flow set up where they can track those. But that is what we are trying to work out in this new system so people are notified along the way of where it's at. Potentially this may be where the snag is and I want people to log into my LSUA and under you staff tab be able to grad apps and your advisees you signed off on and all the would be able to see the status of those. Kind of a dash board is what they are trying to design. Everybody could see them and you wouldn't have to go to another person to see them.

M. LaBorde: So, right now we go through admin or department chair right Jerri?

J. Weston: Yes

Guests: added on to ZOOM: -Sandra Purfory -Mary Treuting- Christof Strumpf

C. Corbat: Substitutions and grad app would come out of faculty offices. I mean they would pass through the department office after coming from faculty advisor, but the faculty advisor would normally need to be able to track those down too.

J. Weston: Correct, yes. That is probably why that was is the 4th one on the list because it is going to cause me more ___? than the others because it is not as straight forward and we are working on that maybe by the time we build the other three we will have learned some things and it will be easier than I think.

M. LaBorde: Good information, any other questions for Jerri? Thanks Jerri, Debbie make sure you know we have some guest. Hop back on to the committees. Michelle have all the committees been contacted?

M. Waller: Yes, everyone has been contacted. The committees are scheduling their meetings. We actually even have some meeting minutes from one of the committees. I have a meeting tomorrow with A&S and we tried to meet with FPPC but we had some technical difficulty with the chair of that meeting so, so still waiting to hear from a couple. But the really important committees, A&S, FPPC, C&C, are on track and ready to start meeting.

M. LaBorde: Thank you Michelle. C. Corbat had said the ad hoc committee on remote teaching minutes from over the summer as an ad hoc committee of the senate are ran just like one of the standing committees, they take the minutes, they have approved these minutes and she has sent them forward for us to approve and that is what I sent you all that has 6 attachments. I was considering maybe we could approve them as a unit? As R. Elder always says we are just approving what they did we are not saying nothing

R. Elder: You can disagree with what's there, but this is what happened folks.

M. LaBorde: So maybe someone would want to approve the minutes from June 5, July 3, July 17, July 31, and August 7th.

R. Elder: I move that we approve all 6 meeting minutes for the teaching committee from the summer.

Kent: 2nd

M. LaBorde: All in favor, unanimous – yes, 0 – nays or abstentions. C. Corbat thank you for that momentous task that was huge. Jennifer will now give us an update

J. Innerarity: I was gathering the information from everybody and it looks like the only departments I haven't heard from are HIPS, MAPS, and Nursing. Everyone else I will be adding to our Excel sheet list of the different committees and that way it's

going to be all on that one Excel sheet. I will send that to the president and the vice-president once we get that filled out. If everybody will send me that information in the next few days then I can send it and everyone can see who is on what committee and who is the alternate to contact if you can't make it.

P. Ghimire: MAPS has already decided so I will be sending it to you soon.

M. LaBorde: Thank you Jenn for doing that for us. The thing that I added today were the minutes Michael sent us C&C from 9/23. Did you all have a chance to look at those? They were very straight forward they were electing people. So perhaps someone would want to move to approve them.

K. Lachney: Move that we accept them.

C. Corbat: 2nd

M. LaBorde: All in favor. Unanimous yes, 0 – nays, 0 abstentions

C. Corbat: Requesting from M. LaBorde, since they are moving to using Microsoft 365 for the C&C, they will need to give us access as well. So we need those links as well as the C&C committee does.

M. LaBorde: OK we will add it to the list. The ever growing list. Moving to:

Old business

We already talked about the scheduling of classes for the spring and hopefully that will help us to have more in-person meetings

236 – Already mentioned

Evaluation of the department chairs, Kent will give us an update on where that is

K. Lachney: OK what I did last week sent a copy of what we currently use in our department and it is something we starting using approximately 2 years ago, evaluating our chair, maybe 3 years ago evaluating chair. It is part of our accreditation process. This is just the 1st draft there are obviously other points we could consider, it's just a beginning point so we could get some conversation on it and hopefully come up with an evaluation form that is truly evaluative of our chairs or deans or whatever our structure is.

M. Waller: I thought it was a really good form and I have already responded. I really liked it. I feel like something could be added but I couldn't find a way how to express how I wanted to say that in writing. So I will say it in speaking. I really liked the rating system because just a general do they do these things, well yes they do, but how well do they do them. I really really liked the essay portion where you can really get into the point of hey my department chair is really strong in this area and does really good work. But maybe could use help in this area. Or just whatever it is you just want to say. I will reiterate what I said in the email why is HR involved with this and are any of these evaluations genuinely being considered when department chairs are receiving their evaluations from the provost?

M. LaBorde: I didn't know about the 2nd part of your question but I am going to suspect, C. Corbat I am going to ask you as well. This stuff dates back to when institutional research did our evaluations. We controlled our evaluations, so I would bet when that went away HR is just where it landed. I am with you I think it seems illogical that HR is when it should reside now.

C. Corbat: At one point the IR office did all evaluations for the campus. The student evaluations of instruction went out of the IR office. From the bottom up to the top down all of that was coordinated through the IR office. When Reed Blalock was the

IR person he pretty much did away with all those duties and I guess managed to get that given to HR. So HR has been doing them ever since. They do with them the same thing that the IR office did which they send the summary to the person being evaluated to that person's supervisor still going to the same places. I am some that it ended up in HR was by default and if IR is not going to do it HR handles personal stuff. So it seems logical.

M. LaBorde: As we develop the process, Kent:

K. Lachney: We very transparent in our department, we analysis the results, we create a PPT and present in faculty meeting. Just as we use the comments from the IDEA form. I find the comments more helpful then I do the ratings. I know they are both important but I really read through the comments and that's why I wanted comments section on the evaluation form because that really speaks to specific issues either developing opportunities or strengths so that's why we use the form. When I was the interim chair mine was presented as a PPT in a faculty meeting and we have done the same thing with Randall. So it's pretty transparent. They are anonymously collected and analyzed by someone in the department and present it to faculty. I don't think it goes any further than our faculty, I don't know if John or others have received it. But that is something obviously we can talk about if that is the direction we want to go.

M. Waller: Well per PS 249 department chairs are supposed to be evaluated by faculty and staff within the department. If that is not being done then it absolutely does need to deal with it, we have a PS and we need to follow the PS. We need to follow PS 249 and ensure that there is input from faculty and staff and this is a good way to do that.

M. LaBorde: So as we move forward in this process that Kent has volunteered to help out with and lead. We need to funnel any questions that we might want to consider added into that instrument. Or any area of communication, that is a big one for my department, how well does that department chair communicate with faculty. I like the Likert scale. Also as you are contemplating these things is there a different process we might want to suggest. You want to keep in HR or should it be somewhere else. What might that look like, I don't have an answer to that but that's what we need to be thinking about. I think you are right transparency is so important.

K. Lachney: We plan to meet again in 2 weeks if we could get the comments in a week from today then if there are some additions to the form or some revision then I can incorporate those then present it and send you guys a copy ahead of our meeting so that we could discuss it some more.

M. LaBorde: That will be October 6, your thoughts on that. You know we need to make sure this goes up the chain to Dr. Rowan because if this restructure is going to happen and department chairs are going to be considered for these new whatever the positions are, he needs to have that feedback of how they are doing. He sees from his point of view how they are doing but he doesn't see our point of view how they are doing, so that is important information for him to have however those are going to be selected. It could have repercussion up the line.

C. Corbat: I think we should be careful because it does repercussions up the line. We can't cut out HR. So if this is going to go to Dr. Rowan and it is going to be used to

make decisions about continuous of positions or promotions into other positions, salary increases, or whatever it is used for then there is going to have to be an appeal system. Some way that you get your record corrected if you feel like you have been mistreated in this process and all of that has to go through HR. So I think we have to be careful not to cut HR as the official record out of things.

M. LaBorde: Good point. It could be it just starts somewhere else, there are lots of possibilities. Consider that as we are sending ideas over to Kent. Anything else on that topic? We already talked about security and class videos, Dr. Rowan is going to ask the senior leadership team about the administrative committee updates.

New Business: Covered everything with Jerri. One thing I wanted to ask your opinion on is: I don't know some of you all might remember it I had the students doing the employee engagement stuff when they were giving out gold stars and doing that little stuff. One of the things that Raphael suggested it to me because the students did interviews. One of the things he said was we just need kindness, which sounds so cliché' but he made the comment we just need kindness. I was thinking about that and how much my students enjoyed that campaign and how much the people that were part of that and knew about it enjoyed it. So I wanted to see what you guys thought and if it would be okay if I wrote thank you notes on behalf of the faculty senate that you might suggest to me are doing a great job or hey I saw this or whatever. But I did not want to assume that I could write notes on behalf of the faculty senate without you giving me permission to write them. So wanted to know what you all thought and may seem like a trivial thing but it seemed to make a difference.

M. Waller: I think it's lovely.

C. Corbat: I think it's a good idea to reward people with niceness. Maybe just to make it more official you could at every meeting a list of the names that have been given to you be people. That way we would know that they are given good things too.

M. LaBorde: My thought was if we were meeting in person I would give you an index card and you give it back to me. But what I will do is ask you to email me with list of names. I may ask you to email with names who could use a thank you note. Maybe if you know anybody from the custodial staff. That's how we did it with the students. I didn't want to assume that I could represent all of you without telling you that I would like to send thank you notes.

R. Elder: Define what is being good? Seriously, what is being good? Are they doing their job that good or they are going out of their way to help people? What are you really asking for?

M. LaBorde: What I am asking for I am going back, we used to do a campus wide newsletter every month. In that newsletter it would have very soft news, it had hard news too e.g. so and so got a grant. It also had stuff like so and so had a birthday or so and so had a baby. One of the things in the letter was called a pat on the back. And anybody could send it in for any reason it didn't matter I would send one in just because someone is doing their job aren't we all expected to do our jobs? Just if you saw someone interacting with a student or somebody helped you. Somebody took on extra responsibilities, it could be anything.

R. Elder: Without an operational definition I can't know what you mean. Pat on the back "I see you"

M. LaBorde: I will try to come up with one.

R. Elder: Well you did, sort of, sort of circular.

M. LaBorde: It is just a pat on the back "I see you" sometime that can make all the difference. C. Corbat we had wanted to discuss academic regulations change authority. Several things have been changed over time in the catalog like the repeat delete. We wanted to talk about how those process changes happened, because we felt like a lot of those faculty input was needed. Turn it over to C. Corbat:

C. Corbat: at the end of last semester we had asked for some information from JerrI on the block transfer credit issue of GEN ED, then we never consider that at the senate. I don't even know if we got it at the end of the semester. Then a big one that happen that none of knew about was repeat/delete. A few years ago "freshmen forgiveness" came up and was an issue on campus where there would be some number of hours a student could do repeat/delete to make up for being a new student. LSU has a policy like that where there is 12-15 hours that a student can repeat/delete. Now all of sudden we have a repeat/delete policy in our catalog that completely changes GPA calculations and it never went through any, as far as I know any senate committee.

So we have a 60 year precedent that changes that affect academics in any way coming through the senate committee system and that is major thing. When the repeat/delete "freshmen forgiveness" policy came up a few years ago it actually didn't pass through the senate. Our department came out in favor of it but it didn't make it. So that really concerns me that was a little small policy on 15 hours or so but now repeat/delete is in effect. I also know that when we have an academic affairs office at the system level that those things were regulated at the system level. LSU in fact was very proud of that fact that the whole LSU system did not do repeat/delete. So all of a sudden we did this major change and it never went through our committee system. I don't know what the other schools in the system are doing. There are also a couple of SACs standards that require faculty input on academic decision making at the institution. Also there is one that requires faculty input on transfer credits. Seems to me we have kind of bypassed our traditional checks and balances system on the whole role of faculty input that effect academics.

M. LaBorde: Maybe we could start the conversation on how to address **the** ones that just appeared. Maybe get some background on that and make sure that those kind of things don't happen. Maybe we need to readdress something, I can remember when we amended the catalog mid-way. Where we took stuff out that wasn't done correctly or something happened to change it. That's my 1st thought.

R. Elder: I know block transfer did come before the senate but as far as I know nothing was done.

M. LaBorde: I don't think anything was done. We asked a lot of question about it but we never got anything in writing about that. Any thoughts? We will table it, add it to old business and give it some thought. But we really need to think this through, the thing is it may not seem big but they are academic in nature, so it would appropriate for FS to a have input on those kind of things. I am not sure where the changes actually came from, did they come from Dr. Rowan's office, did they come from the

registrar office, or did they come from admissions? We have had thing from the admission standards that change like the transfer stuff, so I don't know where it came from. So maybe I just need to do some investigating and see if I can figure that out. Go back and dig through minutes.

C. Corbat: I don't know where that came from either the repeat/delete just surprised me when I looked in the catalog and it was there and I knew I had sat on the senate the last year and it never came up.

M. LaBorde: Does everybody agree that might be a course of action that we could try and go back. If any of you talk to anybody on standing committees of sub-committees if anybody has any insight that would be great to know. We really to need to get a handle on that and it's not a control thing it's an input thing. I don't want anybody to think it is a control thing and everything is thought through and there is faculty input, so we are all on the same page. Would y'all agree that would be a course of action? OK that is everything under new business. Announcements: our next meeting is on October 13th. But don't forget that Kent asked for input by October 6 for the evaluation instrument. Any announcements?

R. Elder: I have a comment I was contacted indirectly about students wanting to maintain hyperflex classes even after the pandemic. They contact me through being on the IRB charity wanting to get IRB approval in order to ask the other students. I don't even not know who the students are, it was sent to me by a third party. I thought it was an interesting concept that there are students who like the hyperflex that much.

M. LaBorde: Mine don't like it, y'all keep ears open to anything that we might need to discuss who knows what the spring semester is going to look like. Any other announcements? Thanks everybody you are appreciated, anybody wants to move for adjournment?

R. Elder: moved to adjourn: 4:21pm

M. LaBorde: All in favor – unanimous – yes, nays – 0, abstentions- 0