In This Section
LSUA employs four different types of personnel on campus.
- Faculty Members - Members of the academic staff holding rank of instructor or above and equivalent ranks. Faculty may be 9 month or 12 month employees and they may teach and/or do research.
- Professional Employees - Administrative officers and professional staff that are generally exempt from the provisions of the State Civil Service System. This category is formerly referred to as Unclassified Employees.
- Classified Employees - Employees in positions covered by the provisions of Louisiana State Civil Service System.
- Other Academic Employees - Part-time members of the academic staff or full-time members of instructional or research staff below the rank of Instructor. Examples are part-time instructors, teaching or research associates, library associates, lecturers, etc.
Curator/RegistrarThe Alexandria Museum of Art is seeking an experienced museum professional to fill the Curator/Registrar position. The successful applicant will have knowledge of best practices of accredited museums as set forth by the American Association of Museums, be familiar with Past Perfect collections management software, have the ability to network and build relationships with artists, galleries and other museums, and be a team player. Some nights and weekends hours are to be expected. The duties related to this position include but are not limited to:
• care, presentation, and interpretation of works of art in the collection in close collaboration with the director
• serving on the collections committee with the director, board members and community members and scheduling regular meetings
• making recommendations for the acquisition and deaccession of works of art for the collection as AMoA works to focus the scope of the permanent collection
• conceiving and searching out exhibitions to expand public understanding of particular works, artists, movements and cultures
• curating shows from the permanent collection for exhibition and travel in collaboration with the director and staff
• conducting necessary research and scholarly activity in regard to curatorial duties
• supervising and assisting preparators with hanging artwork, maintaining galleries
• supervising and assisting with unpacking/packing artwork for shipping and transportation
• Coordinating all transportation arrangements for exhibitions including rental trucks and travel
• Maintaining all documentation of the collection and incoming/outgoing art
• Assisting with grants to support exhibitions and care of the collection
• tracking expenses for exhibitions & related lectures
• working with communications to ensure correct and timely dissemination of information to the public regarding exhibits and curatorial programming
AMoA has just completed its Strategic Plan, revised it collection policy and is in the process of shaping the collection. The scope of the collection is 20th century and contemporary artists of Louisiana, the South, America and Europe.
The Museum is operated by LSUA as an auxiliary university/community museum with a Board of Managers comprised of members from the community, the university, and the LSUA Foundation which owns the museum.
Salary range $30,000-$32,000 with benefits.
To apply send a letter of interest, resume and 3 references to:
Alexandria Museum of Art,
933 Second Street,
Alexandria, LA 71301