Location

  • locabrams

    Abrams Hall

    One of the two original buildings on campus, named for the second dean (now Chancellor’s position) of LSUA, Dr. Morris N. Abrams, who served from 1962-75. 

    This facility is essential primary property for LSUA Administration, Accounting, Purchasing, Enrollment Services, and Financial Aid offices as well as work and meeting rooms 
  • locCoughlin

    F Hugh Coughlin Hall

    Completed in 1979, and named for Frank Hugh Coughlin, an engineer and vice president of Louisiana Ice and Electric in 1938, who became CLECO’s (Central Louisiana Electric Co-Op’s) second president, a post he held for two decades, 1946-66. Hugh Coughlin was a strong supporter of LSUA and of nursing education, and that program as well as Allied Health, Institutional Advancement, and the LSUA Foundation have offices in Coughlin Hall.

    This facility is essential as a primary property for LSUAs Department of Nursing classroom / lab / administration space.
  • Multipurpose Academic Center

    Completed in 2011, the 72,000 square foot building is dedicated to multipurpose academic activities; the building includes a wide variety of classrooms, faculty offices, conference rooms, a digital media laboratory, an art and painting studio, photography studios and labs (digital and traditional), a pottery and kiln studio, 175-seat black box theatre, choral practice studio, and ensemble and personal voice practice facilities. The Arts, English, and Humanities, Behavioral and Social Sciences, and Mathematics and Applied Physical Sciences have faculty and department offices in the MPAC.

  • Avoyelles Hall

    Avoyelles Hall (named after a neighboring parish, which was named after the Avoyl Indian tribe) was one of the original buildings built and used by the Dean Lee Agricultural Station. Avoyelles Hall housed the Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) offices when it was offered on campus. Currently, some Education courses are offered here. The LSUA golf course office and Subway Restaurant share space in Avoyelles Hall. This Facility is essential as a primary property for LSUA's Department of Education classroom teaching space. 

  • locChambers

    Chambers Hall

    Once called the “Activities Building,” Chambers Hall housed the campus bookstore, cafeteria, and the admissions and registration offices. Chambers Hall was named for the Chambers family who owned Oakland Plantation. The site of the building was likely that of the plantation slaughterhouse. Today, all Business Administration offices and courses are in Chambers. This Facility is essential as a primary property for LSUA's Department of Business as student classroom/lab/computer space. 

  • locOakland

    Oakland Hall

    Named for the Oakland Plantation, Oakland Hall was constructed and named in 1965. Oakland was the first building constructed in Louisiana using the “Lift Slab Post Tension” technology. The building no longer serves the campus community.

    This facility was essential as a primary teaching space property for LSUA's Department of Math, English, and History. 

  • locBoltonLibrary

    Bolton Library

    Named for James C. Bolton, a Central Louisiana banker, and early supporter and proponent of LSUA; Mr. Bolton was a dedicated fundraiser for the Library. Construction began in 1963 and was completed in 1964. The LSUA Writing Center, Eloise Mulder Center for Teaching and Learning, and University Archives share office space in the Library. This facility is essential as a primary property for LSUA's campus library facility requred to meet SACS accreditation. 

  • locScience

    Science Building

    Construction began in 1962 and was completed in 1964, with a total renovation undertaken in 2004. Biology, physics, and chemistry courses are taught in this building.

    This facility is essential as a primary property for LSUAs Department of Biological Sciences, student classrooms/ labs / faculty office and teaching space.
  • locStudentCenter

    Student Center

    Construction began in 1965 and the building was dedicated in 1966; the Student Center Addition West(Bookstore) was built in 1985 and a complete renovation occurred in 2008. The Student Center houses the Magnolia Café, Student Government offices, and conference rooms. Its west wing houses the University Art Gallery, Student Advising and Support Services, Follett’s Bookstore, and the campus Testing Center which were all completely renovated in 2010.

  • locBrumfield

    Brumfield Caffey Annex

    Named for and dedicated to Dr. Barbara Brumfield Caffey, a Professor of English (1963-1992), the campus ballroom, and conference rooms are here.

  • locFitnessCenter

    Fitness Center

    Designed as a health and physical education facility, the building was completed in 1967; today it houses the LSUA Generals athletic programs, the indoor swimming pool, basketball court, classrooms, lockers, and athletic workout facilities. The Fitness Center renovations were completed in 2009. The facility is essential as a primary property for LSUA's Department of Health and Physical Education as well as office and meeting space for the LSUA Department of Education. 

  • locOaks

    Oaks Residence Hall

    Begun in 2006 and completed in 2007, The Oaks has 256 beds in one-, two-, and four-bedroom apartments, with kitchens and a common living area. Building 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 are essential as a primary property for on- campus student housing 1,008 total beds. The Oaks also has a common recreation room, a swimming pool, laundry facilities, and a computer lab. The Community Center is essential as a primary property for on-campus student housing. 

  • locBoNipper

    Bo Nipper Technology Center

    The $1.2 million technology center opened in 2004 as a joint venture of LSUA, the Rapides Parish Police Jury, the Workforce Investment Board, the Rapides Finance Authority and the Louisiana Division of Administration. The building is named for Weldon A. “Bo” Nipper, whose career at the LSU Ag-Center spanned from September 1948 until his retirement in August of 1984. He was named the agricultural coordinator for LSU Alexandria in 1960 and later named professor and resident director of the Dean Lee Research Station. LSUA’s Information and Educational Technology Services are housed in the Nipper Building.

    This facility is essential as a primary operations/ control center property for LSUA data communications management.
  • Children’s Center

    Constructed and opened in 1999, the Center serves the children of LSUA students, faculty, staff, and alumni. The Center is one of approximately 100 centers in the state to have earned a rating of four out of five stars. It is the only center in Rapides Parish with a four-star rating; no center in the Parish has a five-star rating.

    This facility is the Students child day care facility functioning as a lab for Psychology students.
  • locEpps

    Epps House

    Constructed in 1852 for the Edwin Epps’ family, this single story Creole cottage was originally located on Bayou Boeuf near Holmesville in Avoyelles Parish. Relocated to Bunkie, LA in 1976, the house was moved to the LSUA campus in 1999 and reconstructed, thanks to the effort of Dr. Sue Eakin, a former LSUA Professor of History.

    Formerly an overseer for Oakland Plantation, where LSUA stands today, Epps established himself as a planter and slave owner. Epps bought Solomon Northup in 1843 and owned him for ten years.

    In 1852, Edwin Epps decided to build a house and hired architect and carpenter Samuel Bass. Because Northup was skilled in carpentry, he was assigned to help build the house and eventually he and Bass struck up a friendship.  That friendship allowed Northup to tell Bass his story with Bass writing Northup’s friends and family to inform them of Solomon’s plight.  This move paved the way for Northup to regain his freedom.  It was also in the house, that Epps was informed that Northup was a kidnapped free man who would return to his family in Glens Falls, New York.

    Today, the Epps House: Solomon Northup’s Gateway to Freedom stands on the LSUA campus as an exhibit dedicated to Solomon Northup.  Additionally, the exhibit houses information regarding the Northup Trail as well as Dr. Sue Eakin.  There are also pieces of folk art from the period and digital displays. 

    Northup tells of his experience in his 1853 book, Twelve Years a Slave, which inspired a 1984 documentary,” Solomon Northup’s Odyssey” and the 2013 movie “12 Years a Slave.”

    Epps House: Solomon Northup’s Gateway to Freedom is open on a weekly basis Thursday-Sunday from 12:00pm until 4:00pm.  It is also available to groups by appointment by calling 318-445-3672.  It is free of charge.

  • Central Louisiana Business Incubator